Model 14 & 14-1/2 Stocks / BULLETIN #12

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

Model 14 & 14-1/2 Stocks / BULLETIN #12

Post by nambujim »

I received an email from some chap whose return email address sucked and could not be delivered but his question was one I have been asked before so here's the deal with Model 14 / 14-1/2 stocks.

Yes, they are the same but like everything with the Model 14 there are always exceptions:

There are Model 14 stocks before and after the introduction of the hook & lever safety systems. If your rifle has the hook/lever system introduced around serial 40,000ish your rifle will not readily accept an early stock.
An early stock will fit but when you shuck back the firing pin extension for the hook/lever system will hang up in the stock, removal of the stock readily frees it. It is then necessary to remove some of the wood from the upper inside left portion of the stock to gain the necessary clearance, this takes only a few minutes with a Dremel tool.

If your rifle is an early serial without the hook/lever system it should readily accept any stock. It would be nice at this point if I could say it will "accept any stock without a problem" but that isn't always the case. Remington must have used a number of patterns for trigger guard assemblies OR they just did not cut the tang that extends back into the stock long enough so it might be necessary to extend that cut just a bit as well.

So YES, the stocks should all fit whether they be 14 or 14-1/2 BUT you might have to do a little wood work, your chances of a perfect fit with a random stock I would say are about 33%. Its not a big deal if you have some idea as to what you are doing. So "Wayne" if you happen to read this, then you have the answer to your email.

Bonus material: Both Bakelite and Steel shotgun butt plates have the same contour and hole pattern. Problem is Bakelite would wear down taking some of the stock with it, steel doesn't.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Re: Model 14 & 14-1/2 Stocks / BULLETIN #12

Post by nambujim »

I think it maybe because I'm old or just have too much useless information floating around in my head but I need to clarify the serial number range in which Remington went to the hook/lever safety system.

The highest serial I have in my parts collection that does NOT have the hook/lever
system is 66846, the lowest serial I have with the hook/lever system is 71800. That covers it in general but we know Remington did not always manufacture in order of serial number since we have hook/lever guns with even later improvements that have serials in the 20000 range. I think they did that just to torment us or at least keep
things interesting.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson