John Gyde?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
ZTatZAU

John Gyde?

Post by ZTatZAU »

I am pretty new to the RSoA forum and trying to learn all I can about the Remington Model 12 rifles. From what I've read here, the acknowledged expert on these unique rifles is John Gyde and I've seen many references to, and recommendations for, his book titled "Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles".

I've looked around enough to know that Mr. Gyde's book, in both its forms, is now out of print and unavailable in any of my local libraries with only a few publicly available copies in some research libraries like the Virginia Military Institute and the Library of Congress. I also found it extraordinary, and a true testament to the value of the information contained in this book, that the few copies of Gyde's book that can be found available for sale have asking prices of $500 to more than $5000.

I've also noted that Mr. Gyde was a regular and highly valued contributor here on the RSoA forum, especially with regard to the Model 12 rifles, but also see that his last activity here on this forum was back in 2016. Can anyone tell me if Mr. Gyde is still with us? In good health? And otherwise still active in researching and reporting on Remington firearms?

Any information on any of the above will be much appreciated!
ZT
600RemGuy

Re: John Gyde?

Post by 600RemGuy »

Conversed with both authors within the last 18 months or so. Try a private message
frnkeore

Post by frnkeore »

I bought my "book" on CD, when it was first offered.

I would think, that if you can get a hold of him, it might be still available on CD.

Frank
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

John lives in Oregon, and last time I saw him was at the Big Reno Gun Show at the Grande Sierra. But I haven't been to that show the last couple years. I bought my copy of his wonderful book directly from him then.
It is indeed the finest source on Remington .22 rifles, but also one of the finest put together gun books around! I use it for it's valuable data concerning models that were available in other calibers also, and love it!
ZTatZAU

Re: John Gyde? Thank you!

Post by ZTatZAU »

My thanks to everyone who replied!

I do hope that Mr. Guide is doing well and sure was hoping that he could help me sort out the questions I recently posted here about my Model 12 rifle. See "More Model 12 Questions" at https://www.remingtonsociety.org/forums ... =5&t=26229

I will try sending Mr. Gyde a Private Message but having been last active here on the RSoA website in 2016, it's unlikely that he'll ever see it. Can anyone tell me if RSoA automatically notifies registered users by email when the user has received a PM?

ZT
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

I'm back.....Thanks David....

Answers to your questions.

#2 yes
#3 Stock looks correct.
#4 I couldn't see the hole in question.
ZTatZAU

Post by ZTatZAU »

John Gyde wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:58 pm I'm back.....Thanks David....
Answers to your questions.
#2 yes
#3 Stock looks correct.
#4 I couldn't see the hole in question.
Thanks so much for your reply Mr. Gyde!
(My thanks to you too "David"... (Marlinman93? 600RemGuy?)... for any part you may have played in Mr. Gyde's return!)

And if you wouldn't mind John, can you help with these follow-up questions?

1) Here is a little better picture of the "pinned" screws on each side of my Model 12's slide. The circumference of each screw head appears to be dished out in four places with a little arc into which the edge of the pins fit into... perhaps to "lock the screws (?)" in place. Have you ever seen this before on a Model 12? Does this look like original Remington? Or a later repair?

2) I am also puzzled by the barrel length on my Model 12 which doesn't seem to match any of the barrel descriptions I saw in the Model 12 Manual I downloaded from the Remington website. My barrel measures 21-7/8" from the muzzle to the front edge of the receiver though I'm not sure how far back the barrel goes into the receiver. Could this be an original barrel length or is it likely, that this Model 12-C barrel has been shortened? BTW: In case it helps, the distance from the muzzle to the front edge of the base of the front sight is 1".

3) Having come from the factory with a barrel marked Model 12-C and a receiver marked Model 12, would this rifle be correctly described as a Model 12-C or a Model 12?

Thanks again for your reply John and for any additional information you can provide! ZT
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

The locking screw was used by Rem for a while. I can't find my reference material that tells when, but that configuration is proper.

The barrel length was advertised as 22", but slight variations are common. Yours appears to be factory.
ZTatZAU

Post by ZTatZAU »

John Gyde wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:16 am The locking screw was used by Rem for a while. I can't find my reference material that tells when, but that configuration is proper.

The barrel length was advertised as 22", but slight variations are common. Yours appears to be factory.
Thanks again John! I really appreciate your replies and the information you've provided.

Is there is no "definitive answer" to my question #3 above... RE: Would my rifle be considered a Model 12 or a Model 12-C ???

I have no way of knowing if you've seen either of my Private Messages but another forum member (frnkeore) mentioned above that he purchased a copy of your Rimfire Rifle book on CD. With hard copies no longer in print, I'm wondering if any CD copies might be still available and what the cost might be? I'd very much like to see what your book included on the Remington Model 12.

ZT
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

There are CDs available for $30 ($25 + $5 shipping). The M/12 was (is) my favorite. It has 23 pages of info in the book.

My address is
JOHN GYDE
988 HAMILTON ST.
SPRINGFIELD, OR 97477
ZTatZAU

Post by ZTatZAU »

John Gyde wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:56 pm There are CDs available for $30 ($25 + $5 shipping). The M/12 was (is) my favorite. It has 23 pages of info in the book.
My address is
JOHN GYDE
988 HAMILTON ST.
SPRINGFIELD, OR 97477
Thanks John!
I'll put a check in the mail this evening and look forward to receiving a CD copy of your book!
ZT