Remington 600 Based Firearms

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
frnkeore

Remington 600 Based Firearms

Post by frnkeore »

Hi all,
I've had a on going affection for the 600 based guns, since 1968, when I bought my first 600. It was in 243 W but, I liked the 6mm, MUCH better so, I sent it off to a PA barrel maker and had a 26" long, 10 twist, heavy varmint barrel put on it and floated the barrel. It was one of the most accurate rifles that I ever had. I still have the load development targets that I shot with it. Three shots, into 9/16" @ 200 yards, was my best!

I bought a Formula car, to start racing and it went as part trade for the car :(

I gave the racing up, 5 years later ('76) and move from So Cal to extreme Nor Cal. I of course needed a rifle and found a nice 660 in 6mm. The factory 20" barrel on that one would shoot 1" groups at 100 yards after floating it. I've come to like the 660's the best!

In '85 I got interested in the XP 100 (600 based pistol) and bought a new 221, then had Douglas make a 15", 7mm TCU barrel for it. I shot cast bullets with it, mostly, for about 2 years. It did fine for accuracy but, I'm not much of a pistol guy.

In '88 I found a nice Model 30 Express, in 30 Rem. They also have a dog leg bolt, maybe that why I wanted it :) but, they, of course aren't 600 based. I traded my 660 for it. But,that one, I''m NOT sorry for!

Fast forward 12 years, I went w/o a 600 for that long. I then found a good deal on a 660, in 308W and bought it! My son had killed his first deer with my 6mm 660 and I was telling him about the 308 I had bought and he said that he might like to own a 6mm, like the one he shot the deer with so, I was on the hunt for one. I found one for a good price, at a pawn shop and called him. He said he didn't have the money, because he had bought some new vehicle so, I bought it for ME!

BTW, the 308W, did not shoot well and so, I bought a 700, 24", 243W take off, on Ebay. After floating that barrel, I got a 3/4" group at 100 yards.

2 years ago, I found a 660, converted to a target rifle, in 223, at a gun show, he wanted $400 for it but, I didn't have the money, at the time and couldn't get it. 6 month later, he still had it but, dropped the price to $300, I offered him $275 and it was mine!!

You don't see them that often and the prices, start about $600 and go up, the 6.5 and 350 Magnum's start about $1100.

I can't really justify any more but, you never know......................

Tell me about your 600 addiction :)

Frank
frnkeore

Re: Remington 600 Based Firearms

Post by frnkeore »

While I've never owned any, I mentioned the 6.5 & 350 Magnums but, I left out the 600 Mohawk and the last 600 type, the Model 7. They are part of the family, too.

My assumption, regarding the 600 Mohawk, was that they were put on the market to close out what was left of the 600 inventory, in what year, I don't recall (anyone have that info?). They had low end wood and 18" non ribbed barrels. They were great woods rifles.

The last one, the Model 7, I believe came about because that 600 carbine was missed by the public. There was talk that the dog leg bolt handle was ugly, I don't know why but, it was compared to the M17 and British Pattern 14 and they said people didn't like, for that reason??? So, they gave the Model 7 some nice wood and a 700 bolt handle and there is where the story ends.

Frank
scratchmark

Re: Remington 600 Based Firearms

Post by scratchmark »

I for one want a 600 so bad I can't stand it. Have for years but never could afford one. My dad has one in 35 rem that he bought in the early 70's for $65. One day, one day.