Model 25 32-20 feeding trouble

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
wbj0815

Model 25 32-20 feeding trouble

Post by wbj0815 »

Hello all. New to the forum but long time gun owner. I recently acquired a model 25 in 32-20 and the gun is in overall very solid shape. Great shooter as far as accuracy and bore. Only one problem... It had trouble feeding rounds from the mag tube. The rounds actually seem to not want to move up through the cartridge guides on the bolt face that hold the round in place. Is this possibly just overly thick cartridge rims? All I've used is starline thus far. The guides and bolt face don't appear overly rough. At least nothing obvious. I hate for the gun to be relegated to single shot mode. I appreciate any help at all.
nambujim

Re: Model 25 32-20 feeding trouble

Post by nambujim »

I try to stick to what I know which is not the Model 25 but they have one thing in common with the Model 14 and that is a "similar" feed system. The 14 does not like Winchester brass because of the rim thickness and I'm thinking you might be having the same problem.

You need to find some older Remington factory ammunition and try them.

Also, if your brass has nicked or beat up rims they will feed poorly.

Good luck, these are really neat rifles but parts are almost impossible
to find.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
texrider

Post by texrider »

I have a model 25 with the same problem, except it will sometimes chamber a cartridge. However, while I was messing around with it I happened to turn it upside down and it chambered a cartridge just fine and did so consistently. I was using factory remington 100 gn lead nose cartridges and reloads using hornady xtp bullets and remington brass. The only thing I can think of is that the cartridge position is changed by gravity when the gun is upside down which allows it to be chambered. Something is apparently wrong with the feeding mechanism and it isn't positioning the cartridge correctly to allow chambering when the rifle is in the normal position. I have no idea on how to repair this.

Update, went to see if my jameson brass 115 gn lead cartridges loaded in starlight brass would chamber, they did fine with the rifle in the upright position until the last cartridge, then I had to turn the rifle upside down. My WW factory 100 gn lead cartridges did the same thing, good until the last cartridge then it wouldn't chamber without turning the rifle. My 100 grain cast reloads in ww brass were probably the worst, were dificult to chamber even with the rifle upside down.

Now that I have muddied the waters further, anyone else have a guess?
Last edited by texrider on Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

I have done little repair work on the Model 25 but this sounds like a carrier & carrier dog thing. You can do essentially the same thing with a Model 14 that won't feed and has a bad carrier dog spring.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
texrider

Post by texrider »

Thanks Jim, the variable responses to different cartridges had me scratching my head and pulling what hair I still have.

Numrich shows a carrier dog spring in stock, does anyone know where a schematic for the model 25 can be found?

Search engines not having much luck