Another "date my rifle" question.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
hockey37

Another "date my rifle" question.

Post by hockey37 »

Hello,

I am clueless when it comes to firearms. My fiance's step father passed unexpectedly and he had a handful of old rifles. His wife would like to sell them, but she doesn't want to get taken advantage of and she is asking me how much they might be worth. Apparently an arms dealer came yesterday to take a look and said this one might be worth $100. According to her description, and some scrap paper left behind by her late husband, it is a Remington 22 model 12 with a serial number of 000208. She is 1000 miles away so I can't pop over and check it out for myself. She sent a photo of the plate where the number is, but the first 3 numbers are a bit faded, so I would hesitate to say they are 000. I also question why they would use three 0's if the earliest serial numbers were only 5 digits total from what I can gather. Below is the only photo of the rifle that she sent.

Thank you

admin
Site Admin

Re: Another "date my rifle" question.

Post by admin »

hockey37 wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:15 pm Hello,

I am clueless when it comes to firearms. My fiance's step father passed unexpectedly and he had a handful of old rifles. His wife would like to sell them, but she doesn't want to get taken advantage of and she is asking me how much they might be worth. Apparently an arms dealer came yesterday to take a look and said this one might be worth $100. According to her description, and some scrap paper left behind by her late husband, it is a Remington 22 model 12 with a serial number of 000208. She is 1000 miles away so I can't pop over and check it out for myself. She sent a photo of the plate where the number is, but the first 3 numbers are a bit faded, so I would hesitate to say they are 000. I also question why they would use three 0's if the earliest serial numbers were only 5 digits total from what I can gather. Below is the only photo of the rifle that she sent.

Thank you
Fixed the photo, value is about condition, condition, and condition and this doesn't look bad.
$100 he's stealing it, at $300 he's still got good room to make money.
Attachments
bNZMYUO.jpg
bNZMYUO.jpg (129.39 KiB) Viewed 1202 times