R14 tang sight

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
JRLesan

R14 tang sight

Post by JRLesan »

I have a model 14 carbine with a Lyman tang sight. The rifle came with the tang sight installed and an (screw in) aperture which I believe belongs to a receiver sight as the threaded shank is too long. The extra length on the shank prevents the post from folding all the way rearward as it touches the top of buttstock. Nowhere can I find info on the aperture used for this sight. Anyone know ??? Stroebel's book does not seem to contain info on lyman apertures. I suspect the sight was originally designed to be used with or without removable aperture but the one included is certainly not the correct one. Other 14R (marked) tang sights have the flip up aperture without the female threads.
nambujim

Re: R14 tang sight

Post by nambujim »

Marbles tang sights came with shafts that had a threaded aperture and I have seen numerous R14's that have the flip feature removed with the aperture threaded. Good luck finding another shaft but they show up on Ebay from time to time, the bloody R14's have become "stupid" expensive. I found a couple this past year at gun shows for under $100 but down this way you don't see many Model 14's or 141's at shows or anywhere so the sights sell for less.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
JRLesan

Post by JRLesan »

To answer my own question (for anyone interested) Lyman made 'short shank' and 'long shank' apertures for various sights. My #2 tang sight (which is/was NOT the combination sight with the flip down (internal) aperture) requires the 'short shank' version which I was able to locate and is currently on the way. No where was I able to learn about a Lyman combination tang sight that had the fold down feature as well as internal threads for a (removable) target aperture. Stroebel's book as well as several vintage gun sight collectors was able to provide info. Not saying Lyman did not make the combo sight with internal threads; just that I could find no reference to same.
Recoil Rob

Post by Recoil Rob »

I assume mine is short shank?

nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Yes, but of course you can change out the "stem" with any number of
other Lyman tang sights. My personal opinion is that the Lyman, Marble, and other similar tang sights suck! While better than no sight at all there is only one truly decent sight that mounts to the factory screw holes on the 14/141 and that is the Redfield 102 variant. Great sight, adjusts for windage and elevation with a great sight picture.

Discuss it all you want but the Redfield is head and shoulders above all the others including King & Parker Hale. Well made and while the latest in 30's technology, the Lyman & Marble were the latest in 1914 technology. The Lyman does the job, is a decent sight, and better than open sights but I just find banging on the front sight for a windage adjustment..........annoying.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson