What do you use to refinish your stocks?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Silver61

What do you use to refinish your stocks?

Post by Silver61 »

Hi all,
I'm starting to refinish the stocks on a couple of 514's and was wandering what type of finish everyone uses. In the past I just put some boiled linseed oil on then applied a few coats of either hand rub or spray on poly. They have turned out ok but the poly doesn't seam to wear very well, at least not on my 870. I was thinking about Permalyn sealer and then the finish but I'm not sure about a stain. My gun smith said he uses Min Wax stain. I like the color I get from the linseed oil but I guess it doesn't work well with the Permalyn. I wouldn't mind hearing what everyone's favorite process are as long as you don't mind giving up some of your secrets.

Thank you for your time and input.
jpap48

Re: What do you use to refinish your stocks?

Post by jpap48 »

i have no experience with permalyn so can`t speak to it. however i use linspeed and have had good results with it. you don`t need a stain for your stock, remington used a good quality walnut on those guns. i would sand the stock down to 400 grit and use birchwood caseys tru oil. both linspeed and tru oil are modified linseed oil so you will get much the same results as to color as boiled linseed oil. don`t put on a heavy coat of tru oil just dip your finger in the bottle and rub it in very well. if you want the stock to shine, let the first coat dry, than sand with 0000 steel wool and apply a second coat. again use a thin coat.
Silver61

Re: What do you use to refinish your stocks?

Post by Silver61 »

Thank you for your ideas. I have linseed oil and I do like the way it turns out so I think I'm going to try it again. This time I don't think I will put a coat of poly on after. From what I have been able to find all that is needed is several coats of the oil.

Thank you again.