Remington 12C foregrip screws

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
JeffConti

Remington 12C foregrip screws

Post by JeffConti »

So glad to have found this group. I bought my first Remington collectible many years ago... still own it... a 16 gauge Damascus double barrel side by side... what a beautiful piece.

I recently had the opportunity to buy a Remington 12C and after taking it apart for a badly needed cleaning I found that the screws that held the foregrip in place were the wrong size (10-32).

After some research I found several important bits of information.
1. These screws for this rifle (made in 1915 according to the serial number) are. Or 10-32 but 8-48. Any body who knows anything about screws knows that 8-48 is not common. 8-40 is about as common as I can find.
2. This rifle could have been made with a double screw (scalloped head screw with an additional keeper screw) but mine isn’t made that way. Thus the dimensions (shown on eBay) are not long enough to penetrate the foregrip and hold the tube.
3. The holes in the tube are bigger than a standard 8-48 screw... I know because I used the Machinery’s handbook to build an 8-48 screw and both screws are sloppy. I thought that maybe the 10-32 screws had stripped the threads but upon inspection just the initial first thread was damaged on both sides and the remaining threads look great.

So!!!

Any of you experts out there have similar problems? I am building 2 new screws with a fiameter of .172 instead of .164, 48tpi and will have to measure and test fit the length..
mi am glad I have the equipment and ability to build the proper screws. I sure don’t know how other collectors would do this one!
dieNusse1

Re: Remington 12C foregrip screws

Post by dieNusse1 »

Sorry I can't help with your 12C problem but want to ask about your double. What model and grade might it be?
2shooter

Post by 2shooter »

You got my attention about the forend screws I took one out of my 12b it mikes Head dia. .261 then there is a shoulder .196 then thread Dia. .176.. I have a 10x 48 adjustable die if I tighten it down I can cut .176 thread.
I can make that screw I have a lathe I can turn it to spec. and thread it.
I also have another 12, I check it, it has the wrong screws 10x32 so I going to make screws for it. hope threads are ok.
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

Go to http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/remingt ... 2-rimfire/

Then scroll down to item 27. $3 each.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rickster wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:55 pm Go to http://www.wisnersinc.com/model/remingt ... 2-rimfire/

Then scroll down to item 27. $3 each.
Well h... that takes the fun out of it...

My brother always said I would rather spend and hour in the shop vs going to the hardware store for a 27 cent screw and he was right.