Question about .40 caliber Remington-Lee

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
steve004

Question about .40 caliber Remington-Lee

Post by steve004 »

I've always admired these rifles, particularly because of the large variety of very different cartridge chambered. I also like big bores. I've owned two Remington-Lees (sporting rifles) in my life and neither were completely original. I do have two Remington-Keenes (.45-70 and .433). Back to the Lee, I've been watching this one on internet auction. My gut tells there have been many after-market changes from when Remington shipped it out. I do have Gene Myszkowski's excellent book. One glaring aspect is apparently this rifle is chambered in a cartridge that Remington never offered in this rifle. The seller says it is a .40-60 Winchester. However, the barrel stamping, 40-60M suggests to me it is .40-60 Marlin which is basically a .40-65 Winchester or .40-60 Colt - both a very different cartridge than the .40-60 Winchester (ala M1876). Anyway, aside from the chambering, the checkering pattern looks questionable, the finish looks redone, the barrel crown has me scratching my head... what else? I will say it looks like it might be a fun shooter but I'd sure want to see if cartridges cycled well, etc. Another aspect that has me scratching my head, if someone is going to build up a rifle and market it as a mint original specimen, why would they choose a chambering Remington never offered?

Anyway, what do those that know more than me, make of this?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/768723626
GeneM

Re: Question about .40 caliber Remington-Lee

Post by GeneM »

Some factors to consider when researching Remington Lee Sporter sn 52832.

The serial number 52832 is in the US Navy production range for the Remington lee Model 1885. It is in the range that Lt. A. C. Diffenbach inspected from 1893 to 1894. Some of the rifles may have not passed inspection and held back at the factory for future use. One way is to shine a bright LED flashlight at right angles to the receiver to see if faint traces of the Navy serial number and inspector stamp appear.

The trigger guard does not have a curve or relief back of the trigger for the finger and the front guard screw has the groove for the sling swivel found on military trigger guards.

The barrel does not have the Remington legend stamped on it. The recessed crown is found on heavy barrels of the era.

The stock checkering pattern has the five points facing the action of the Remington Lee Special high grade but the stock lacks the initials of the Remington stock maker. I have a Remington Lee Special high grade in caliber .38-55 based on the Model 1899 action and the stock has heel and toe plates and has the initials of the stock maker.

The Remington Lee black powder caliber sporters were first advertised in the 1904-05 catalog and were built using Model 1885 actions. I have record of two in the serial number 54000 range. These had 26" round barrels, caliber .45-70, with rifle butt plates. The checkering was the standard grade two points facing the action. Calibers offered in the catalog were .43 Spanish, .44-77, .45-70 and.45-90.

There were very few unadvertised sporters along with military pattern rifles made in the 1887-88 period on converted Model 1882 actions that were upgraded to the Model 1885. I had one of these converted sporters.

Hope this helps.

GeneM