John Lacy's The Remington 700 History/Manual

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
older than you +1

John Lacy's The Remington 700 History/Manual

Post by older than you +1 »

Can someone that owns this book please tell me if Mr. Lacy mentions the Remington Custom Shop work to any significant degree? Information such as number of rifles produced and how many gunsmiths they had working in the Custom Shop. Just general information about it.
54bullseye

Re: John Lacy's The Remington 700 History/Manual

Post by 54bullseye »

He goes into some detail about custom shop and he has approximate production numbers up to 1972. Some nice pictures of custom guns also. It is truly a great and must have book if you collect 700s or most of the earlier Remington bolt actions. Let me know if you have more questions. John Taylor
older than you +1

Re: John Lacy's The Remington 700 History/Manual

Post by older than you +1 »

Thanks for responding to my post. I recently purchased a Remington 700 (270) that was produced in the Remington Custom shop in 1983. The gun is still in perfect condition. Great wood. I purchased the gun from a person that bought it at an estate sale. No paperwork provided.

I happen to have a 1984 Remington Catalog which had a Custom Shop Catalog and a price sheet for the 4 grades that were available for Custom Shop rifles. Grade I - $1,000, Grade II -$2,000, Grade III - $3,000 and Grade IV was 4,000. Mine is a Grade I.

I was hoping to find out production numbers but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Thanks again for sharing.