1899 Remington Lee Sporting Rifle ID

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Wind River

1899 Remington Lee Sporting Rifle ID

Post by Wind River »

Hi All -

I am a new member. I am hoping that some of your members can help me with some questions about a new acquisition, an 1899 Remington Lee sporting rifle. Some of you may have seen this on GB, it was listed for over a year at $1500. It turned out that the owner lived about 2 hours from me, so I went to see it and bought it for a little less than listed. It has a very crisp, bright bore, a fair amount of finish remaining. The stock may have had some finish added but I believe the stock to be an original sporter stock.

Anyhow, I always wonder if something doesn't move quickly on GB if there is a problem with authenticity, or just bad pictures, etc. I have a copy of Eugene Myszkowski's book, and it fits many of the items of description: 2 point checkering on the wrist, 26" barrel, 30 US caliber, buckhorn sporting rear sight, no screw holes for military sight, plain receiver ring without signs of grinding off a Cuban crest, Soldered on front sight mount, nice thin stock with ebony insert in the schnable, etc. The most glaring departure from the description of an 1899 sporting rifle is that it has no serial number, much less one in the 75 - 76,400 range. I have disassembled it, and only found 3 numbers:

The number 15 under the butt plate. Incidentally, this butt plate looks nearly identical to the one on my original 50-70 Rolling Block Sporting rifle, except the fit and finish is not as good. I would describe it as a rounded crescent.

The number 275 is found in three places on the bolt - under the release arm which starts disassembly, on the bolt body under the release arm, and under the extractor on the bolt head.

On the bottom of the barrel immediately in front of the schnable is what appears to be an "X" but I think is crossed rifles, a clear "R", and then a weak number, probably a "3".

Other markings include a serif P under the barrel, covered by the forearm, "30 U.S.A" on the barrel, patent dates up to 1887 on the side of the receiver, and "REMINGTON ARMS Co., ILION. N.Y." on the top left of the receiver.

I could not figure out how to load photos here, so I have made a photobucket with some pictures that I hope will illustrate what I saw. If you click on the following link or copy and paste the following into your browser it should take you there:

http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/hjhut ... gton%20Lee

I am wondering if this is an early prototype model, with the old style butt plate, which would explain the lack of a serial number possibly. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
GeneM

Re: 1899 Remington Lee Sporting Rifle ID

Post by GeneM »

You have a very nice Remington Lee Sporter. The lack of a serial number is not unusual. I had two M1899s without serial numbers, a Heavy Weight Sporter shown on p 66 of my book and a full Michigan National Guard military rifle that came from an Armory. I also handled a target M1899 serial number 2, stamped NRA, that had been shortened for deer hunting. My Heavy Weight Sporter may have been reworked from a target rifle because the barrel had been turned down and had Rigby Flats. It, too, had the slots cut in the receiver that allowed the rim of the 30-40 cartridge to pass. The magazine had two slits cut to allow the cartridges to be loaded while the magazine was in the rifle. See p17 of my book.

The numbers on the bolt are assembly numbers to keep the parts together. The bolts were not serial numbered to the rifle.

All of my Remington Lees, except one, were sold by Rock Island Auction in 2012. I did keep my Special Remington Lee Sporter in 38-55. It came down to Florida with me.
Wind River

Post by Wind River »

Thank you Gene, I hoped you would weigh in.

I am very glad to have confirmation that the rifle is original without an obvious serial number. It seemed a little strange to me since rolling block sporters have the serial number stamped in multiple places. However, military rolling blocks have no serial number. I am glad I went with my hunch. The rifle looks to be in honest original condition except for the stock, which seems to have been refinished as it is some sort of shiny shellac or laquer. How were the originals normally finished?

What really sold me on the rifle is how light and nimble she is, the condition of the bore, and the fact that it is chambered for 30-40, a caliber I really enjoy. I am looking forward to some range testing with some light loads I use in my Springfield and Winchester 1895.

There was an 1899 Sporting Rifle which sold on Gunbroker last Sunday. It was in very good condition, with some figure in the stock. It was chambered in 6mm Lee, which is hard to find or load for, so I did not bid and it sold for a low price in my opinion. Your Special sounds like a keeper, 38-55 is a great caliber.
Wind River

Post by Wind River »

I was also wondering about the hole drilled in the bottom of the barrel - does that indicate that the barrel may have been intended for a No. 5 Rolling Block? I fired 5 shots with it yesterday, seemed to be accurate but weather was very poor including high wind and frigid temps. Will try again but no signs of trouble. I am assuming the hole in the bottom of the barrel poses no safety hazard, any thoughts?
Wind River

Post by Wind River »

I fired 3 rounds from the 1899 through the chronograph this weekend. Chronograph data indicates that my load, 37 gr of IMR 4064 with 180 gr Hornady BTSP and CCI Lg Rifle primer runs around 2,050 fps in this rifle with its 26” barrel. Interestingly and for what it is worth, with the same load my 1895 Winchester clocks 2,100 fps with a 28” barrel, a Springfield Krag rifle with worn 30” barrel runs around 1975 fps and an 1898 Krag carbine with 22” barrel makes 2,100 fps with the same load.