Model Four Magazines

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
RaleighReloader

Model Four Magazines

Post by RaleighReloader »

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a new (to me) Model Four in 30-06, and I'm looking forward to sighting it in for this winter.

The gun came with a single magazine (four rounds, I believe). I'd like to pick up another factory mag or two, and I've noticed on eBay and GunBroker that there are plenty of magazines for this series of gun, but that they all look slightly different. Some of them have are stamped for a single caliber, while others have a list of calibers down the side. Some of the 30-06 magazines have a rectangle around the caliber stamping, while others have a more trapezoidal shape, and a few have an oval shape.

The magazine that came with the gun (and which I have every reason to believe is the factory original) has the trapezoidal border around the 30-06 caliber stamping on the side.

Do these differences mean anything substantive to the functioning of the magazine, or are they all just stylistic variations of the same magazine?

Mike
600RemGuy

Re: Model Four Magazines

Post by 600RemGuy »

"or are they all just stylistic variations of the same magazine"

Your last statement in completely correct. When the gun was new, they included a mag stamped for the calibre of the rifle. To make their inventory and packaging easier, they stated ALL the calibres that the mag will work for. They even state calibre for limited run, non catalogued calibres made up for certain shops and groups. In the early years, they needed 3 or 4 packaging options to make them calibre specific but in most cases, as long as it was s short or long action cartridge, a like mag would work.