Remington Model 141 magazine tube stuck

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Gamemaster06

Remington Model 141 magazine tube stuck

Post by Gamemaster06 »

Hey guys I can't for the life of me get the magazine tube off my Model 141. I can't get a grip on it to spin it off the action part. I'VE tried wd40 and heat and neither worked. Any help would be greatly appreciated
nambujim

Re: Remington Model 141 magazine tube stuck

Post by nambujim »

You offer up a two line question that will require a response amounting to a "term paper". I have separated at least 500 action bars from the magazine tube and about half require some sort of encouragement before they come apart. The reason for this is that the grooves in the tube "channel" dirt, dried oil, and just about anything else you can think of into an area where there is no escape. You can add moisture to the list and you come up with a nasty/hard mixture of glop essentially gluing the tube to the action bar.

Now in all the removals I have done I had one on a Model 14 I gave up on and just simply cleaned around it, had another where I put so much pressure on twisting the action bar it twisted the tube hopelessly out of shape so the worst case scenario is to have a spare on hand when you start this process. You neglected to mention as to why you were removing the tube so I can only guess you wanted to give it a good cleaning OR planned on replacing it. In any event it doesn't take any special tools to remove the tube but some of the items you may not readily have on hand.

I use a vise but have a thick leather pad (almost 1/4" thick) on both sides of the tube firmly gripping it in place, this almost eliminates the possibility of you denting the tube. You need to place the tube in the vise so that a minimum of the tube itself is showing but leaves the action bar fully exposed, this will minimize flexing on the tube. I then wrap a piece of soft leather around the action bar itself protecting it from either vise grips or a Crescent wrench (my choice is the latter) used to grip it. From that point it will "almost" always yield but like I said, I have had a case or two where the tube just won't let go or it twists out of shape.

Once you separate the tube from the action bar I clean it using a fine wire wheel and clean out the action bar with a chamber brush, once you do that they usually (but not always) will easily screw back together again. The down side of doing all this is that you have essentially stripped the rifle and in the process there are parts that will fall out and you might never know it, first and foremost is the cartridge stop, and if you're working with the action bar the pin may exit as well. If you are doing a thorough cleaning and remove the carrier pin, then remove the carrier ....... unless you watch what you are doing the carrier plunger/spring may decide to exit into places unknown. So like I say, if you're going to attempt your own repairs to a Model 14 or 141 you better be sure you have on hand or can find replacement parts, and they aren't readily interchangeable.

I hope this helps.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson