Restoring Vintage Remington Alum Buttplate

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
pgtr

Restoring Vintage Remington Alum Buttplate

Post by pgtr »

The buttplate on my 1950s 722 appears to be aluminum but painted black with an exposed metal edge.

The edges have an almost bronze color albeit somewhat inconsistently colored around its perimeter - My guess is this was originally unpainted aluminum that received some stain and/or clear varnish from when the stock was finished...?

My thought was to paint the buttplate semi-gloss black and polish the edge to a bright silver metal finish. Or just leave the bronze-ish looking edges as is?

thanks
Wulfman

Re: Restoring Vintage Remington Alum Buttplate

Post by Wulfman »

pgtr wrote:The buttplate on my 1950s 722 appears to be aluminum but painted black with an exposed metal edge.

The edges have an almost bronze color albeit somewhat inconsistently colored around its perimeter - My guess is this was originally unpainted aluminum that received some stain and/or clear varnish from when the stock was finished...?

My thought was to paint the buttplate semi-gloss black and polish the edge to a bright silver metal finish. Or just leave the bronze-ish looking edges as is?

thanks
My thoughts agree with yours in that it was some varnish "overrun". If it bothers you, just unscrew the butt plate and use a little emery cloth to polish up the edge of it.

Some of my 1960s vintage 700 ADLs had those metal butt plates and were like that, too.

Den