M760 300 Savage

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Hook

M760 300 Savage

Post by Hook »

I have been looking for an early M760 in either 300 Sav or 35 rem for quite a while. Stumbled across this one and jumped on it. The older 4X40 Tasco scope is remarkably clear and was still zeroed. The barrel was shiny and sharp and a patch soaked with Ed's Red went through it looked exactly the same at the other end. The crown was perfect. I really wonder how much the thing has been shot!

Anyway, here are my questions:

The barrel stamp is CYY, indicating an April, 1952 date of manufacture. The SN is 208XX. Can anyone give me an idea how early in the manufacturing cycle it was built?

Were the 760s drilled and tapped for scopes from the gitgo, or could this have been drilled after leaving the plant.
600RemGuy

Re: M760 300 Savage

Post by 600RemGuy »

All indications suggest your rifle was built in the first month the caliber was offered. It is usually agreed that the rifles were not D&T'd until for the year 1953(late '52 dated ones may indeed be as they were assembled for the following year-like cars). I believe the rifles NOT D&T'd for scope mount are NOT D&T'd for the receiver site. This may help you decide for sure.
Hook

Post by Hook »

Good point, Billy. I went out to the shop after church this morning to check....no receiver sight holes!

This rifle is in very good condition. Just can't believe it was hunted or shot much at all. Now that is not to say that it looks new. The wood and metal finish is faded somewhat with age. I am tickled to death with my find!
600RemGuy

Post by 600RemGuy »

I sometimes think we are a dying breed. Seems all the hype is on the newer decked out models and the older rifles that they were based on are being ignored by the younger set.

I have 2 760s. Like you, a 300Savage and one in 222. I, like you, think these are "neat".

My specialty is the M600s, but I like odd and "few of" rifles. Oh, I have a few newer guns, but my heart is back in the 60s!

Brad
Hook

Post by Hook »

Yes sir, older rifles are so much better. I, too, have a love for the M600s. I have a 308, 222, 35 Rem, and another 308 that I rebarreled to 7mm08 back in the 80s. Centerfire rifles were seldom encountered here in AL when I was growing up. Deer hunting was almost exclusively done with shotguns, buckshot, and dogs. Even so, I remember the pictures of the M600s in the sporting magazine ads back in the 60s and lusted for one when all my buddies were arguing about what type of shotgun they wanted.

I own a couple of ARs, a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in 338 Mag that was a retirement gift from my coworkers, and a CZ 527 in 7.62X39. The next youngest bolt action is more than 25 years old. After that, they get really old. Pre war German sporters, Krags, Springfields, etc. New, current production rifles just do not interest me.

This old M760 will have an honest chance to take a whitetail this Fall. I try to hunt with as many of my rifles as I can, so it boils down to which one I'm totin' when an opportunity presents itself. Last season, the two bucks I took were killed with a 250-3000 and a 9X57 Mauser! Even though I always try to put a doe or two in the freezer early on, I never had a shot at one that I was sure was not a little buck.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Have it's cousin! Dec 1952 760 ADL Deluxe in 300 Savage. Same basic shape, except had been drilled for a Griffin and Howe side mount... WHY when it was factory D&T'd I have NO clue, unless it was a REALLY old untrusting crusty cuss who had almost zero faith in scopes, to the tune of ruining a rifle and paying lots extra for the removable mount... Regardless, I love it! One of two of my 300 Savages (other is a pristine '53 Savage 99!). Love the rifles, love the caliber and love the older rifles and calibers. Also just picked up a Savage 340C in 222 Rem. $500 piece of custom wood on it with full crotch feathering in the butt. Can't wait to get it set up!