Remington Martini Single Shot .22LR

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
fallingblock

Remington Martini Single Shot .22LR

Post by fallingblock »

I have come across what appears to be a Remington Martini Single Shot .22LR. I have looked and can find no information about such a rifle. The action parts have what appears to be a single digit assembly #. The action is not like any other martini I have seen. Can anyone help identify the model if it is a Remington product?
Cheers,
Laurie
ltjc5

Re: Remington Martini Single Shot .22LR

Post by ltjc5 »

Hi falling block / laurie,
What you have is a "Camp Perry" rifle. It was built by Remington to compete in some Camp Perry competition.I don't have all my info handy at this time , but you can get the info from a book called "Single Shots and More". I can't remember the author right now , but he has several books on single shot rifles to his credit. He states there were very few made (approx. 10 ) , and tells some of the history he knows about them. I have one, and I have seen one other . I also saw an ad for #5 in the Shotgun News 30 plus years ago. You have to remove the stocks to find the serial number. I hope this info helps. Some one on this site will surely know more about your rifle. If you have any more questions , send me an e mail
ltjc5
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

While I can add little to the previous post, you can see from your picture that the rifle has a block for rather sophisticated "Iron Sights" along with scope blocks used for a Lyman, Unertl, Fecker, or Litschert Target Scope. The BSA Martini in .22 was popular with "Prone" Small Bore shooters starting in the late 40's thru the 50's but never approached the popularity of the 40X or the 52 Winchester. Al Freeland of the now defunct "Freeland's Scope Stands" was one of the leading proponents of the Single Shot BSA Martini but again must state those rifles along with your possible Remington version were strictly used for prone shooting and adapted poorly to the 4-position variety. I think you will find that properly scoped or even with "iron sights" like the Redfield Olympic your rifle will be deadly accurate at 50 feet and 50 yards. They were also used at 100 yards, pretty much the limit for .22 rimfire match ammunition, and these rifles were designed to use "standard velocity" or match ammunition.

Neat damn rifle!! Would love to see more pics...........thanks for telling us about it.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
fallingblock

Post by fallingblock »

The book with the information is "More Single Shot Rifles and Actions" by Frank DeHaas. It for the most part a reprint of an article from the "American Single Shot Rifle Association News" from May June 1984. I knew it was some place but had a mental block till a friend reminded me about the article. It is an interesting and rather over done American version of a BSA #12 much more complex. 10 of them were made mine being assembly #4 Dennis Hursosky who wrote the original had two of them for a time and mine is not one of them. Two are in the Remington Collection so 5 are known to have survived. This rife is well used so someone must have found it worth while to shoot. I was hoping someone here would know a bit more about the rifle.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

That is a very cool rifle, shot position smallbore for over 50 years and never saw one of those, and the rarity explains it. With only ten (10) made and Remington's lack of records will make it difficult to find out anything really definitive. Does it have a barrel code on it (left rear of the barrel in front of the frame), at least that would provide some information when it was made.
It would be a series of two or three letters like BE or LAA or whatever.

Love the pictures, nice job!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
fallingblock

Post by fallingblock »

The only marking under the barrel is a 5 digit number directly under the barrel. The Remington Trade Mark is on both sides of the barrel. On the right side of the barrel just in front of the receiver is a small #1.
Cheers,
Laurie
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

Pages 358 & 359 in our book (Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles) have some info and photos of Camp Perry rifles. A photo of one I used to own (serial #8) is on page 359.
fallingblock

Post by fallingblock »

There is a bit more information in the 3rd 2015 "Quarter Remington Collectors Journal" with pictures of Camp Perry Rifles #7 & #8. I would like to be able to see several examples as they were not all built the same. #8n looks to be a standard BSA action.
Cheers,
Laurie
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Just in case (not saying it's perfect and I don't have 2015 even in yet - volunteers? ;)
There is a searchable index of all Journals (on the journal page).
http://www.remingtonsociety.com/journalsDB/journals.php
fallingblock

Post by fallingblock »

Thanks for the link found a copy of what is in the Remington .22 Rimfire Rifles book. I need to collect pictures of the rifles to try to figure out how many different ways Reminton modified the BSA actions.
Cheers,
Laurie