original metal finish on 1923-1935 Model 14 pump rifles?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Adam Lee

original metal finish on 1923-1935 Model 14 pump rifles?

Post by Adam Lee »

Guys,

I recently picked up a nice 1923 date Model 14 (via serial number - 87021) that appears to have been factory redone a few years later, via the barrel stamp - DY3. I think that means Sep. 1930.

It has what I can only describe as a phosphate or parkerized grey-blue finish. Appears to have been this way for some time, due to observed metal when I take it apart.
Another interesting thing, it has a brass/metal script cap on the bottom of the pistol grip, like the owner's initials, but I can't really decode the font yet. Might be RCY but it's hard for me to interpret. That's the only other unique thing I see - besides my question on the finish. It's not D&T'ed so that's great. Bore is really nice.

Ideas? I am brand new to the 14's. This one is a .32 Rem, interestingly the forearm grip (pump handle) is embossed "35" on the back face.

Adam
Wherever you go, there you are!
35Rem

Re: original metal finish on 1923-1935 Model 14 pump rifles?

Post by 35Rem »

I have no knowledge of Remington ever doing anything but a polished blue on these. The grip cap sounds like a personal addition, also.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

35Rem wrote:I have no knowledge of Remington ever doing anything but a polished blue on these. The grip cap sounds like a personal addition, also.
I appreciate your comments - I agree, that the finish was redone. What I was not too sure about was how recently that occurred, since the rifle had come from an older gentleman's collection at a local auction; and the only "history" I learned was that he had owned it a long time.
If this gentleman had been perhaps the second owner of the gun, perhaps a handed-down family firearm, I suspect due to the good condition it may have been refinished locally and not at the factory.

I can only describe the matt finish best as what newer Remington shotguns - 870's - look like.

Besides that, I promise to get back here with photos once my job allows me some time off!

Thank you for looking at the post.

Adam
Wherever you go, there you are!
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Definitely doesn't sound Remington done.

Billy Smith
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Remington 600 sort of summed up my thoughts but I'll throw some additional personal opinion at you. For a very long time I have collected these rifles and do repairs for the Model 14/141 ONLY!

The first thing to consider is that while "Parkerizing" has been around since about 1918 in its basic form, it wasn't really commercial until about 1930. Remington really didn't get into Parkerized finishes until about 1940 and used it extensively on military weapons and any .22's like the 513T, 521T, and others that were shipped to military installations.

I have repaired/owned a VERY large number of Model 14's and have repaired two that were Parkerized.................they were simply awful and it was obvious from the beginning they were not a factory job. To be brief, a little parkerization (not an actual word but sounds good) in the wrong place causes untold problems for these very quirky rifles. I suppose its possible that your rifle could have been refinished at the factory but there is no repair code for a time period where it would have been readily available at Remington. The other additions to the stock of the rifle you described would just reinforce that opinion.

It sounds like your rifle was done professionally, that it was a good job, and works just fine but the bottom line is its worth a bit less because of the after-market finish. This doesn't mean it isn't a good shooter and an interesting piece to have in your collection.

Soooo I took 3-4 paragraphs to tell you essentially what Rem600 told you in his two line posting.

Take care & behave!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson