Anybody heard of a Remington 612 ?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
marty

Anybody heard of a Remington 612 ?

Post by marty »

I am trying to find out the story behind a Remington Model 612-P. Its a .22 with tubular mag and peep sight, maybe similar to a 512. Its not in any books that I've seen. I called Remington and all they said was only a few were made 1940-43 but they were not intended for sale. I've been playing phone tag with their historian for a while, so thought maybe someone here could shed some light or tell me where to go. (No, I've already been there and didn't like it.) I don't know how or when my dad bought it. All I know is it was the rifle he taught me with as a kid in the 50s.

I am interested in what "not for sale" means. Why were they made? How are they different than say a 512? What did Remington plan to do with them? How much are they worth now?
remingtongeo

Post by remingtongeo »

This is very interesting. Sorry I can't help you out. When you find some info on this rifle let us know.

George Pavel
ChuckD

Moddel 612

Post by ChuckD »

The 600 series of rifles are very similar to the 500 series. However, they were an experimental rimfire in .267 caliber. Remington was experimenting with this cartridge in the early 1940's. I don't know why it was never put into production. I know some 610 and 611 rifles were produced for testing, but I have never heard of a tubular magazine 612. The estimated production of the 611 was aproximatly 200, supposedly all of them were destroyed. See lot #381 in the Richard A. Bourne auction of the Karl F. Moldenhauer collection. (10/29/80)
I would guess that a receiver marked 612 was taken from inventory and finished as a Model 512. How do the barrel markings compare to the standard 512 and does it have a barrel date code?
remingtongeo

Post by remingtongeo »

I just got my copy of "Remington, America's Oldest Gunmaker" by Roy Marcot. On page 218 it says, "Model 612A Tubular-Magazine Repeater- Little is known af thse enigmatic rifles except that only nine were made by Remington in 1940."

Chuck D is correct in saying it is a 267 cal. rim fire that Remington bought out to compete with the 22 mag. that Winchester introduced. Mr. Marcot says nothing about a "P" model, but then there isn't that much known about it.

Marty, you have got to post some photos of this rifle. You can't let a rare find like this go without the chance of us Remington nuts looking at it. Please contact Roy Marcot, he is on the members list, and at least give him the chance to see it.

Thanks,

George Pavel
marty

612-P

Post by marty »

Thanks for your help Chuck and George,

Your replies are appreciated. I'm sorry George, but I'm not in possession of it yet so can't get any pics posted for a while. I won't be in that part of the country (at my moms) till probably next spring, but I'll be sure to take some pics when I can, and let you all know here.

Near as I can tell it looks the same as the 512 photos in books I've seen at Barnes and Noble. I think it must be very similar. I'll check all the barrel markings carefully next time I see it (or get a good pic of them). I was quessing the -P might be for the peep sight. (Or maybe the 612-A is for aperture sight?)

This particular rifle is a .22LR, that's what we used in it. I think I remember reading that on the barrel also. Chuck, it might be like you said -- finished as a 512 -- which could explain the caiber being .22.

I'll sure post any more info I learn from the factory historian, when I can connect with her, and thanks again for info you all found.
marty

Post by marty »

Just to update: I finally connected with the factory historian. All she could say, in addition to reiterating the info above, was that the war stopped any further R&D on the experimental caliber .267, and all of the 612s were scrapped. (Well, all except at least one anyway.) All she knew of the number made was that it was not over 25, and confirmed that the -P is for the peep sight.

I only wish someone had not converted it to .22 cal with 512 parts, although I understand why they would have.