Model 14/14-1/2 & 141 Repairs & Tips

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
nambujim

Model 14/14-1/2 & 141 Repairs & Tips

Post by nambujim »

I'm going to freelance here in an effort to cut down on the mass of email I receive from forum members.

Finding parts for these guns is a "crap shoot" and Numrich thinks that parts for all three rifles are the same so they apply the same part number. Some are the same but because of the continual changes made to the 14 they are not readily interchangeable nor can early parts for the 14 be used with late 14's or 141's. This applies to bolts, action bar covers, cartridge stops, action bars, and a bunch of other parts.

There are people on all the gun websites along with Ebay that sell "parts lists", repair manuals, and other such stuff but a repair manual is useless if you can't find the exact right part. I have ton of parts but each early Model 14 was/is parts specific in that they were hand fitted for that particular rifle. The repair manual will say things like "install a longer carrier dog" which may be the case but getting a longer one is the problem and this is just one of the hundreds of such references in the manual.

I can only suggest that if you have little experience with these rifles you need to proceed with caution when attempting a repair. Not knowing how to strip the rifle down is the largest single problem with owners so that in the process parts can and will readily exit the rifle without you even knowing it. Those "small" parts that can exit are the cartridge stop, carrier pin, and in the case of the bolt the ejector can fall off which readily allows the ejector rod to vanish into the unknown.
If the carrier pin exits and/or you remove the carrier on purpose without knowing what you are doing the "carrier friction plunger/spring" will fire off into space without so much as a whisper.

I have written before that I only dismantle a bolt under duress, many of the parts can be removed from the bolt (there are 20 parts in a bolt) without the need of removing the "pressed" in Sear Pin. Removing the Sear Pin is not something you should be doing................the spring/plunger can and will exit abruptly with such force as to cause you injury.

The point of all this rhetoric is to warn owners both new and old is that if they are feeling frisky and the need to strip down their rifle overwhelms them I can assure you your chances of getting it back together with all the parts is about 50% based on the calls & email sent in my direction.

The parts that most readily wear out or break on all the models are the action bar cover & carrier dog spring while the most lost parts are the magazine plug screw, action bar cover screw, carrier pin, carrier friction plunger & spring, butt plate screws, detent spring for the wheel sight, ejector rod, and believe it or not the follower.

If it makes you feel any better, some of the biggest collectors of these rifles don't readily know how to properly dis-assemble them. Adding to this even the best of us can get a bit careless, personally my greatest failing is losing carrier friction plungers which are damn hard to find.

You need to remember that you are working with the latest in 1910 technology, metal, and ammunition. These rifles were made to digest new clean ROUND NOSE rounds and the feeding, loading, and ejecting nicks the bloody hell out of the brass. Remember the "hang tag" that came with these rifles stated "use round nose ammunition only".

For those that have a non-working rifle or are missing parts, I try to give advice, direction, and the like but I can't fix it by email even with pictures. I can probably fix your rifle if it is in need of repair but when you email me I would consider it a personal favor if you spare me detailed info on your reloading ability, what it is you collect, and how extensive your collection is....................as Jack Webb would say "just the facts" and I will attempt to answer your inquiry promptly.

Regards to all!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Last edited by nambujim on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Peterson
The Gamemaster

Re: Model 14/14-1/2 & 141 Repairs & Tips

Post by The Gamemaster »

A good can of foaming gun scrubber can go a long ways towards keeping a used firearm clean.
Other solvents such as brake cleaner, carburetor cleaner - should only be used in a dire emergency.
Some people are so anal that they think that they have to field dress their rifle every time they shoot it.
Unless you are Alvin York - most people aren't going to be able to take it apart and put it back together and still have it work..
A exception would be a Mossberg shotgun or maybe a Browning semi auto shotgun - as long as they do not try to take the trigger out of disassemble the trigger.
There is always the one or two guys that thinks that a rifle isn't perfect unless it has 2.5lbs of trigger pull.
As long as you realize that you are dealing with a rifle more than 70 years old and you might not be able to find the parts to repair it if you break it - you will be ok.
Most collector rifles - you just wipe them with a rag with a little bit of gun oil and that is it.
With all the new rifles out there today - that has much better accuracy, there is not much call to even shoot a rifle this old.
Put it in the gun cabinet and use it for display only.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Huh! Alvin York, Browning, Mossberg, 2-1/2# trigger pull, and foaming cleaner................quite honestly, you lost me. I run a "shop" where I repair ONLY the Model 14, 141, 14-1/2, my postings are fact, not an opinion, and as an aid to those looking for guidance in keeping these rifles in use.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Jim585

Post by Jim585 »

How do I contact NambuJim to send in my 141 for repair? Thank you, Jim585
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Jim585

Contact me at: nambujim@charlotte.twcbc.com

Regards!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
old tanker

Post by old tanker »

Jim, do you include the Model 25 in with the 14 series for repairs?

Thanks, Emil
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Sorry...........No!

I took one of my Model 25's apart some 25 years ago and decided at that time .......... if I got it back together I would never mess with one again.

Also, they made so few of the Model 25 that parts are "almost" impossible to find and key parts totally impossible unless you buy a parts gun or two, and those are hard to find.

I wish you well!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
old tanker

Post by old tanker »

Then I shall take exceedingly good care of mine. It is a .32-20 in nice shape and shoots fine. If you won't work on one, you can bet I won't be.