572 Fieldmaster barrel removal

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
trando

572 Fieldmaster barrel removal

Post by trando »

I recently purchased a 572 Fieldmaster manufactored in July 1959. I have disassembled to the point where I can't get the barrel removed. This model doesn't have a serial number or screw on the left side of the receiver plate. I have disassembled just about everything I can but the barrel will only move a fraction of a inch, I'm wondering if there is a pin or screw that I can't see because it seems there is something restricting the barrel from coming out. I have soaked with PB Blaster but still no luck.
imbaroque

Re: 572 Fieldmaster barrel removal

Post by imbaroque »

The barrel will slide out as long as the fore end screw is removed. If this is the first time the gun has been apart, it can be very difficult. Spray some Kroil in there and stand the gun on the barrel for awhile. If it moved a little, it will come out. Just be patient and don't try to force or pry anything so you don't damage the bolt. Remember to remove the trigger assembly and the metal cover on the bottom of the receiver for better access. Good luck.
trando

Post by trando »

After several soakings with PB Blaster I finally got the barrel removed. It wasn't easy and it probably took a couple weeks (a few minutes here and there). Got everything cleaned up good and went to the range, shot 25 rounds without one problem and can't wait to go back to the range.
imbaroque

Post by imbaroque »

Great success story. I was just wondering if this gun has the old style bolt assembly? If it does, then you probably noticed the ejector is completely different than with the new style. I love the older 572's and pick them up every chance I get.
trando

Post by trando »

Not sure about the difference between the old and newer ejectors. I had a 572 when I was a kid and didn't keep it, this is kind of a replacement for that gun. I'd like to purchase a new 572 but they are a little hard to come by. If I find another one I'll buy it, I really enjoy breaking it down and cleaning it plus it just a great little gun for target shooting.
brupu1952

Post by brupu1952 »

imbaroque wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:35 am The barrel will slide out as long as the fore end screw is removed. If this is the first time the gun has been apart, it can be very difficult. Spray some Kroil in there and stand the gun on the barrel for awhile. If it moved a little, it will come out. Just be patient and don't try to force or pry anything so you don't damage the bolt. Remember to remove the trigger assembly and the metal cover on the bottom of the receiver for better access. Good luck.
What is a fore end screw? I have a 1957 Fieldmaster 572 and cannot get the barrel separated. There is no 'Barrel Dowl Screw' but I did remove the Barrel lock screw.