Remington 12C questions

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
JeffN

Remington 12C questions

Post by JeffN »

I have recently been actively seeking to purchase a 12C rifle for sentimental reasons from my youth. I have run across one via the internet with only one not so clear picture posted. The owner states that her late husband owned the rifle for 75 years and that decades ago her husband had the rifle replated and the wood refinished by Remington. She states the plating is "chrome". Has anyone ever heard of the factory "chroming" ( I suspect it maybe nickel plating) a used gun like that? How would that affect the value of the gun good or bad? Thanks in advance for your input on the subject.

Jeff
ELT

Re: Remington 12C questions

Post by ELT »

I just got a 12c rifle myself. It has a chrome or nickel plated crecent buttplate on the stock. I have been looking at some D and F grade model 12's to see if any of them used the shiney butt plate but I have yet to find one. The plate has the remington trademark stamped into it so I think it is a legitamate upgrade done by a previous owner. There is a nice selection of model 12 rifles on the Guns International websight.
JeffN

Post by JeffN »

Thanks for the reply. I decided to pass on that particular rifle without any input on how the "chrome finish" would affect the value or confirmation that it could have been done at the factory. The search continues.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Jeff,

Remington did offer a upgraded nickel finish. Original ones are a little scarce and at times would carry a premium. A lot of the nickel finishes are on the 12-B Gallery Specials, but can be found on other variations.
The story from the wife that her husband sent it back to Remington and had the work done sounds fishy. Not impossible, but I think unlikely. As for the but plate on the other post. Probably aftermarket refinish.

Jeff....how much are you looking to spend on a 12-C?

Billy Smith
JeffN

Post by JeffN »

Billy, Thanks for the information. If you want to email your contact info I can call to discuss. jeff@bomar.com. On other forums I frequent the admin frowns on posts that are disguised as buy/sell and that isn't my intent. I am a guest here looking for information so I don't want to overstep my bounds or break any site rules. I look forward to hearing from you.

Jeff