Custom Shop Stock, Pressed Checkering?

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Macc

Custom Shop Stock, Pressed Checkering?

Post by Macc »

Did the Remington Custom Shop ever make any walnut 700BDL stocks with pressed checkering? I have a Remington 700BDL with detachable magazine in .270. I was told by the gent I bought it from that it was a Custom Shop stock and that it cost quite a bit. Instead of the black tips it has rosewood tips like the CS stocks I've seen. The rosewood pistol grip cap is flared. But unlike the CS stocks I've seen the checkering is pressed and is identical to the checkering on a standard 700BDL stock I have.

I have tried searching on RSA but haven't been able to find any information about it. I will confess however that I am computer stupid. I can probably figure out how to post a picture if that helps.

Thanks!
Wulfman

Re: Custom Shop Stock, Pressed Checkering?

Post by Wulfman »

Macc wrote:Did the Remington Custom Shop ever make any walnut 700BDL stocks with pressed checkering? I have a Remington 700BDL with detachable magazine in .270. I was told by the gent I bought it from that it was a Custom Shop stock and that it cost quite a bit. Instead of the black tips it has rosewood tips like the CS stocks I've seen. The rosewood pistol grip cap is flared. But unlike the CS stocks I've seen the checkering is pressed and is identical to the checkering on a standard 700BDL stock I have.

I have tried searching on RSA but haven't been able to find any information about it. I will confess however that I am computer stupid. I can probably figure out how to post a picture if that helps.

Thanks!
My first suggestion would be to figure out when the barreled action was (possibly) made.......from the barrel date code:

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/rsa/que ... arrelcodes

The type/style of (impressed) checkering could also offer another clue.
Just offhand, it sounds like some "custom shop" configuration other than Remington's.
Detachable magazines have been somewhat of a more recent option. If your barrel date code is within the last 20 years (or older) and the stock checkering goes back about 40 years, that will give some more clues. The Model 700 has been in existence since 1962 and for all intents and purposes, Remington quit using "impressed" checkering (at least on their BDL rifles) back in 1973 and started using "cut" checkering of various designs in 1974. Various combinations of stock and other appearances may give away the true nature of what it is.

And, if you could provide some pictures, that would help, too.

EDIT:

I went to this link and found that the DM option was only available on the BDL from 1995 - 2004.

http://www.remington.com/products/archi ... l-700.aspx

Den

Macc

Post by Macc »

I'll try to figure out how to post pics on here. And, I learned something from your reply as well. I did not realize that the checkering I've had on post 1973 700 rifles was actually cut. I've always assumed it was pressed as it's not near as nice as the cut checkering on my other guns.
Macc

Post by Macc »

Here's some poor quality pics I took with my cell phone:

Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

That was a stock checkering pattern they started using in about 1978 or 1979 on their BDL rifles. It's called skip-line checkering and was essentially "machine cut" checkering.
Some things bother me about this one and raise some more questions.

What is the serial number (you can X out the last two or three numbers) but if it has a preceding letter, that would be helpful........because they started using the letter prefix in the mid 1970s and if it's a late 70s gun, it would have an "A" prefix, one from the early half of the 1980s would have a "B" prefix and late 1980s would have a "C" prefix, etc.

Does the recoil pad say "Remington" on it?

Did you determine the barrel date code and what year it was made?

From those pictures, the fore end tip and the (flared) grip cap don't look "factory" or "custom shop" to me. The wood has nice figure to it, but I have some standard ADL and BDL 700s with some beautifully figured wood.
The detachable magazine could have been added.

Here's a previous discussion about a Safari Grade Custom Shop 700.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... hop#p35953

Den

700_classic

Post by 700_classic »

It looks as if it may have started life as a regular post-1977 BDL stock with machine cut checkering, but was then modified by a non-factory individual. The pad was DEFINITELY not done at the factory, let alone the Custom Shop. I can see that it wasn't ground on the stock which they would have done. The closeup of the forend tip looks like the black plastic tip and grip cap may have been cut off and replaced with rosewood - again not even Custom Shop since I've never seen one with the grip cap flared like that. The finish doesn't appear to be factory either. The detachable magazine is a Kwik-Klip conversion which was common prior to the DBM guns and, I believe, still available.
remington600

Post by remington600 »

Definatly not Remington done, and definatly not Remington finish. This looks like someones personal work. Checkering looks to deep around the edges as well. I think someone has recheckered it at sometime to. Nice wood though.
Macc

Post by Macc »

Thanks for the info. I paid less than used price for a plain jane model ADL with the scope, so money's not an issue. I'm just curious what it is. By the way it has a Timney trigger in it as well. I just thought it was "pretty" for a hunting rifle and it's proved to be very accurate. If the tips are added, whoever did it did a better job than whomever added the pad.

I really can't tell what kind of finish it is. Certainly not an oil, seems harder than a lacquer, but shows figure better than a poly. Since I'm going to use it for hunting, I'll probably leave it as is.

The serial # is A6898XXX.
Barrel marks on left are: A 64
The "A 64" is preceded by a stamp that looks like: x)

Barrel marks on the right are: a sideways A inside a triangle, REP inside an oval, J, and then something that looks like a clubs in playing cards without a top / or deers antlers. (Hopefully, good enough descriptions for those of you in the know to figure out...I can't get them to show up in my cell phone pics.)

Thanks for the information!
Wulfman

Post by Wulfman »

Macc wrote:Thanks for the info. I paid less than used price for a plain jane model ADL with the scope, so money's not an issue. I'm just curious what it is. By the way it has a Timney trigger in it as well. I just thought it was "pretty" for a hunting rifle and it's proved to be very accurate. If the tips are added, whoever did it did a better job than whomever added the pad.

I really can't tell what kind of finish it is. Certainly not an oil, seems harder than a lacquer, but shows figure better than a poly. Since I'm going to use it for hunting, I'll probably leave it as is.

The serial # is A6898XXX.
Barrel marks on left are: A 64
The "A 64" is preceded by a stamp that looks like: x)

Barrel marks on the right are: a sideways A inside a triangle, REP inside an oval, J, and then something that looks like a clubs in playing cards without a top / or deers antlers. (Hopefully, good enough descriptions for those of you in the know to figure out...I can't get them to show up in my cell phone pics.)

Thanks for the information!
With the "A" serial number prefix it puts it in the late 1970s.
If the date code is actually "X A", that would be December of 1980.......so, that seems to "fit" with the other clues. If it would have been made in the early 1980s, it would have had a "B" prefix in the serial number.

Den