M14 problem, won't fire if forearm not held forward.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Recoil Rob

M14 problem, won't fire if forearm not held forward.

Post by Recoil Rob »

Thanks to the inspiration I got from reading nambujim's posts I finally got around to reassembling a M14, .30 Rem, that I took apart 3 years ago. I tore it down completely, except for the trigger group, cleaned it in an ultrasonic bath, oiled it up and then let it sit.

Put it back together today and I have a problem that I am not sure is related to my reassembly but figured I'd ask here.

While dry fire testing it tonight I noticed that when the gun is cocked and the action locked forward there is about 1/8" play front to back in the forearm/ loading tube/ action bar assy. If the forearm is not held fully forward the gun won't fire. That 1/8" makes the difference, if it's at all to the rear the trigger won't pull.

Any idea's? Is there some type of adjustment that can be made or is something worn out? I have an old (1940's) Remington Factory Repair manual and it doesn't mention this in the troubleshooting guide.

thanks,

BTW, for the Database, s/n 107707, barrel code EU (Sept., 1927?), steel "L" shaped buttplate, cal. .30 Rem.

Rob
Recoil Rob

Re: M14 problem, won't fire if forearm not held forward.

Post by Recoil Rob »

I had asked Jim about this by email so below is his response to help others...

"I have seen this before and it is "usually" related to the the sear lock and trigger assembly, it isn't fully locking up. I tell everyone that these guns are very "quirky" and what you have described is indeed one of their quirks.

I had one gun I simply could not remedy that had this problem so I switched bolts with another rifle of a similar caliber and it worked fine.........oh, it took me about 6 bolts to find one that worked.

Yours being a "later" gun the options are a bit less and you don't have a drawer full of bolts.

Make sure the sear lock is positioned correctly, lubricated, and that the plunger is indeed making contact with it.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Rob!

If possible make up some dummy rounds and see if you have the same situation. Again, I have seen the situation described more than just a few times and I have a 14-1/2 in my rack that does it on about every 4th or 5th round. I switched the bolt with another one of my 14-1/2's and it worked perfectly.................problem is that the bolt for the rifle is serialed to the gun, bummer!

Try it with some dummy rounds and see what happens but have the feeling you don't have any readily available. The bolt switch has been my best fix to date but if anyone else has worthwhile input we would be glad to listen.

Good luck!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Recoil Rob

Post by Recoil Rob »

Jim,

Haven't had time to break down the gun and look but is there any chance I could have the sear lock in wrong? looks like there's' only one way to do it and the part that touches the plunger is shiny from wear but I figured I'd ask. No dummy rounds I have no dies but have some old Rem ammo.

BTW, for the database, my other M14, . #114014, .35 Rem. barrel code DW, Sept, 1928, L shaped steel butt.

thanks,

Rob
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Rob!

Just compare your bolt to the one in the other rifle and make sure they look alike.............since the other hasn't been messed with.

I don't think it would be a good idea to test with loaded rounds unless you were going out to the range but I have seen these rifles work perfectly without ammunition but then won't lock up with ammunition..........and the reverse.

You have obviously not tested the feed system since you only have live rounds, advise since there might be a burr or some bloody thing causing the problem. It would be good to test the loading into the magazine, through the system, locking up, and ejecting...........with dummies to test all the problem areas. Even dummies get nicked by the feed system and need to be cleaned up after a couple of uses, these rifles are very fussy as to what they like to digest.

Even dummies are costly to make up.............and mail but if you want I could send you a couple of used ones I have cleaned up and send them in a small priority box for you to "play with". Right now I have four rifles in the shop so I am sort of busy but by the end of the week I need to go to the post office to mail out some parts..........let me know if you want to go this route. You have my email address, you can send me your mailing address.

............and to prove I'm not all that smart, I forgot to put on latex gloves before using some heavy duty Behlen stain on a 141 stock, I hate doing wood!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson