722 engraved

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
tuff

722 engraved

Post by tuff »

Can someone help me with the grade of this 722?
Attachments
texaslori 063.jpg
texaslori 063.jpg (137.94 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
texaslori 060.jpg
texaslori 060.jpg (100.88 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
texaslori 058.jpg
texaslori 058.jpg (84.37 KiB) Viewed 3494 times
Wulfman

Re: 722 engraved

Post by Wulfman »

"Standard grade". And then, some previous owner had someone do some engraving on it.

Den

tuff

Post by tuff »

I have a factory picture and engraving is the same. The serial # only tells the year it was made. I have been told by most gun dealers the engraving is factory but some say the wood is wrong but others tell me the wood was ordered that way and was more money for the better wood when the gun was bought.
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

I agree strongly with Wulfman. I recently had a M/722 "F" Grade. It looked nothing like yours. The grade is usually stamped after the serial # like 1234F. I don't see that on yours. The quality of the wood does not match the high engraving and is not Remington wood. The engraving is too deep, much like that done in Japan after the war years. I have never seen a flower petal on a factory floor plate. Please post a photo of that factory picture showing the identical engraving and I'll back away.

I know this isn't the info you want to see, but it's the way I see it...
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

I missed it the first time. Your serial # is stamped. It is engraved, not stamped on all high grade rifles above grade D that I have seen. Yours has F level engraving, but not factory work.
Ted

Post by Ted »

tuff wrote:I have a factory picture and engraving is the same. The serial # only tells the year it was made. I have been told by most gun dealers the engraving is factory but some say the wood is wrong but others tell me the wood was ordered that way and was more money for the better wood when the gun was bought.

Looks like Remington factory wood to me....it's pinned in the exact same place as all other 721's and 722's. Engraving does not appear to be factory quality.
tuff

Post by tuff »

The photos I seen were on this site. Go to search and type in "share your factory checkered 721/722 photos" this was back in 2008. Some pictures have been removed but some are there. Any info IS WELCOME. Thanks for looking
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

There were just a couple of B & W photos left on the post you showed. It appears that it used to show rifles that the owners, not Remington said were factory engraved. One of the photos might have shown your rifle before you bought it???

My opinion remains that yours looks like a very nice rifle, but is not factory work. The wood is wrong. The engraving is too deep. The engraving does not match any factory pattern I have seen (floor plate). The serial number is stamped. No grade level is engraved on the rifle. There's just too many differences.
ChuckD

Post by ChuckD »

I agree with the other posts,
My opinion is this was a standard Remington 722A, which someone had engraved outside of the factory. The wood is wrong for a high grade rifle, but probably right for the standard grade.
tuff

Post by tuff »

I collect over and under shotguns and double barrel also have some 760 pumps 222 and 223 s I came across this 222 in North Dakota and picked up for a price of 475.00. Had a lot of interest at gun shows in nd and everyone has idea what it is. Thanks again for looking and it is a great shooter use for coyotes
John Gyde

Post by John Gyde »

[quote="tuff"]I collect over and under shotguns and double barrel also have some 760 pumps 222 and 223 s I came across this 222 in North Dakota and picked up for a price of 475.00. Had a lot of interest at gun shows in nd and everyone has idea what it is. Thanks again for looking and it is a great shooter use for coyotes[/quote]
I have a 722 in .222 also. It will help solve a "Digger" problem in Eastern Oregon this spring.