30 Cal or 30 Carbine

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
olDeadeye

30 Cal or 30 Carbine

Post by olDeadeye »

If you have a 30 caliber Remington 14 R or a 14 1/2 carbine or 141R carbine in 30 caliber which ammo do you shoot the shorter 30 carbine like the M1 carbine shoots or the regular 30 caliber. I am confused?
Wulfman

Re: 30 Cal or 30 Carbine

Post by Wulfman »

olDeadeye wrote:If you have a 30 caliber Remington 14 R or a 14 1/2 carbine or 141R carbine in 30 caliber which ammo do you shoot the shorter 30 carbine like the M1 carbine shoots or the regular 30 caliber. I am confused?
Let's try to get you UN-confused. :)
I don't know what you mean by "regular 30 caliber", but you really need to become more familiar with what you have before you shoot it (or buy ammo for it). There have been an abundance of various "30 caliber" cartridges over the last 117 years and they are or can be vastly different from one another. Firing the wrong ammo in a rifle can be disastrous/deadly.

The old Remington Model 14s and 141s were chambered for the ".30 Remington". It was essentially a rimless version of the .30-30 Winchester. For the most part, it was declared obsolete many decades ago. However, there are still a few sources for the loaded ammunition and cartridge cases if a person is set up to reload them. In either case it can be a fairly expensive proposition these days.

Here are some links that will hopefully explain the cartridge.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/30_Rem.htm

http://www.ammo-one.com/30Remington.html

http://www.buffaloarms.com/30_Remington ... x?CAT=4445

Isn't there a cartridge case head on the left side of the receiver of the rifle you have?

Den

nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Wulfman has it right!

......................but I am concerned because "oldeadeye" posted in his first entry that when he went to shoot his 14R "it fell apart", what ammunition were you using??. Wulfman stated if your rifle is marked .30 Remington or .30 Rem it fires ONLY that cartridge and that cartridge ONLY.

Also 14-1/2 Rifles and Carbines fired 44-40 or 38-40 ammunition and shouldn't even be included in this conversation.

The fact you are talking .30 (M1) Carbine and "normal" .30 Cal. ammunition is a real concern and to confirm your own words I would say "YES" you are confused.

The carbine you have and we don't really know if indeed it is a carbine (you need to post a picture) does not use .30 Carbine, 30-30, 30-06, or any oither variation .............. it uses .30 Remington which as Wulfman stated is a rimless version of a 30-30 Winchester/30 WCF.

I was NOT being sarcastic when I said you need to post a picture because a LOT of uniformed folks think a regular Model 14 is a carbine. If it is a carbine the barrel length is 18-1/2" and the magazine tube should come almost right up to the end of the barrel. We need a picture and quite seriously you need some help because if its just a rifle in the condition you described it is hardly worth working on. If it is a carbine (14R) it probably is worth putting in working order.

I'll drag my camera out and see if I can post a pic for "ol deadeye" showing both a carbine and a rifle, the current file I have is too large for the site.

Regards!

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

My Camera sort of sucks but hope these pics post.

For "Oldeadeye", that is a carbine on top......note barrel length. Also almost all carbines had straight stocks and not pistol grip style.
Attachments
nov22_01.jpg
nov22_01.jpg (138.47 KiB) Viewed 7203 times
nov22_02.jpg
nov22_02.jpg (112.24 KiB) Viewed 7203 times
Jim Peterson
olDeadeye

Post by olDeadeye »

Ok, So here is the photo of the Remington 14 R that I own. yea I know its hard to believe that it is a 14R. You see I know a little bit about guns I have only been working on them since I got out of Murry State in 1982. as for the 30 Cal. 30 Carbine I must have been asleep the day we discussed it in class. I have always been more interested in larger caliber rifles and over the years I have never been fortunate enough to work on a single 30 caliber weapon. Until now and that is a whole other long boring story.
I appreciate the photo's and information from the both of you.when i mentioned the regular 30 CAL. I was thinking of the cartridge you would use in a 30-30 which in my opinion is a regular 30 caliber cartridge. When I think of a 30 carbine I would say that the M1 carbine which uses a shorter 30 cal cartridge hence the "carbine" cartridge. It that makes any since. as for the different suppliers I am familiar with them all and actually bought 500 rounds of 30 cal. for the 14R Carbine. From Buffalo arms By the way they shoot really well. As for the first posting when I said that the gun fell apart when I shot it well specifically the Magazine Tube separated from the action bar because whomever had the gun prior to me had not screwed the thing in far enough to hold it together. I did get to shot a box through it before it came apart at 50 yards they were all in the kill zone so that was good. As for becoming more familiar with what I have that is what I am doing trying to gather information on a gun that is near a 100 years old. I have the schematics on hundreds of guns including the 14R but it is not a very good one. I was hoping to get information through the Remington Society that is why I joined not just the web site but the Organization. The 14R is not a complicated gun but it is hard to find straight forward information on this weapon and parts.Thanks for all your concerns and help. It has been somewhat useful.
olDeadeye

Post by olDeadeye »

I have atached a photo and the ammo from Buffalo
Attachments
This is the Gun and ammo
This is the Gun and ammo
REMINGTON 14R 1.jpg (37.76 KiB) Viewed 7188 times
This is the Remington 14R gun and ammo
This is the Remington 14R gun and ammo
REMINGTON 14R 1.jpg (37.76 KiB) Viewed 7188 times
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Wow, "somewhat helpful" ........... "we" were concerned that you might well blow yourself up, your ability to effectively communicate your problems & concerns has been a bit disjointed & confusing.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
michaelblatney

Post by michaelblatney »

I also have a 14R and here is the ammo for this rifle. I inherited this from my Dad who bought it at a pawn shop in the mid 60's. I am also confused about the ammo. I ordered .30 caliber ammo and it is a small cartridge. The ammo I have is 30 Remington and I have 4 boxes that my Dad bought in the 60's. I am not sure I can find this ammo today.
Lft to Right 3030, .30REM, .30Rem, .30 carbine
Lft to Right 3030, .30REM, .30Rem, .30 carbine
101_0074.JPG (505.21 KiB) Viewed 3377 times
101_0076.JPG
101_0076.JPG (785.12 KiB) Viewed 3377 times