Trouble with my Model 788

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
texasboy112

Trouble with my Model 788

Post by texasboy112 »

I just joined this forum, and I'm very impressed with all of the information here. I have a problem with my Remington Model 788 (.243) Rifle. As I was removing the bolt I dropped it on my carpeted floor which released the firing pin (which is still sticking out). Because of this I can't get the bolt back into the rifle. I know there's a way to reengage the firing pin back to it's normal (not exposed) position, but I don't know how it's done. I'd "Really" appreciate any advise you can give me on this matter. Thank you...
The Rifleman

Re: Trouble with my Model 788

Post by The Rifleman »

I believe that if you put the end of the bolt in a vise that has brass jaws - soft jaws, you should be able to twist the bolt handle and re cock the bolt mech.

Take it to a gunsmith and have them look at it for damage.

They will fix it for you easier then you can do it at home.
thebigdog

Post by thebigdog »

Texasboy112,
These are the directions from the owners manual, I have attached a file of Fig.4, I hope this helps.
Dick
Fig.4.JPG
Fig.4.JPG (7.48 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
TO COCK BOLT—Bolt must remain cocked to put into rifle. If bolt “uncocks”, firing pin head will snap forward into cocking cam in rear of bolt. To cock bolt, hold firing pin head (Fig. 4) firmly to prevent movement. Use vise jaws if available. Raise bolt handle. Bolt will cam cocking surface (beneath handle) against firing pin head. Continue raising handle until cocking detent on rear of bolt engages firing pin head. Bolt is then cocked and ready for re-entry to rifle.
ReloadingBum

Post by ReloadingBum »

push firing pin in, load spring up, stick a punch small enough to fit through the rear hold, crank back onto the bolt assembly. done.
Attachments
bolt.jpg
bolt.jpg (1.4 MiB) Viewed 2722 times
Last edited by ReloadingBum on Fri May 21, 2021 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.