760 special order

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
hburney

760 special order

Post by hburney »

I have a 760 in 270 caliber with a date code on the bbl of ZZ which is 1953. It also has a code on the left side of the bbl under the date code that is cv3 which I understand means that it was returned to the factory for repair or alteration. This rifle has very fancy hand checkered wood with a remington aluminum butplate and a grip cap that I have only seen on high grade Remington guns. Is it possible that the gun was returned for a wood upgrade and thus the "3" code on the bbl?
hburney

Re: 760 special order

Post by hburney »

Wow, This place is dead. Where can you find information on Remington guns. I have Myzokoski's(sp) book, are there any others that are worth having?
rem141

Post by rem141 »

hb,
The repair was done at the end of the 760 production period or 20 some years after that. If the repair was to replace broken stocks, then a 7600 set may have been put on. Do the stocks look like any that the factory has used on later model guns like the Six or 7600? Pictures of the key points, checkering, pistol grip cap, grain etc would be helpful. It is possible that the repairs were mechanical and that after market stocks were installed by a previous owner. Your turn.
Ken Blauch
hburney

Post by hburney »

The gun does not have standard production wood! It is very highly figured. the grade would be exhibition or close. It is hand checkered, as evidenced by a single tiny runover, and is in the remington factory configuration, IE. no monte carlo or cheekpiece. It has a remington factory metal butt plate that is right for its manufacture date and a grip cap with Remington on each side as you look down on it surrounding an engraved pattern around the screw. The forend is longer than normal and covers the tube nut. The finish is consistant with the peerless grade guns that I have seen. HB
oneoldsap

Post by oneoldsap »

Late model wood isn't going to fit a 760 that was manufactured in 1953 . I sure would like to see a picture of it . Is the metal embellished at all ? Sounds like custom wood to me , with the forend extending past the action tube .
rem141

Post by rem141 »

hb,
I'm thinking you have after market wood, but pictures would tell alot. In either case, if you have no documentation, you will always be in doubt.
Ken Blauch
hburney

Post by hburney »

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. I will try to post some pictures. I guess there is no way to document factory work from old records like at S&W. HB
The Gamemaster

Post by The Gamemaster »

The forearm on a late model 760 Gamemaster is like a baseball bat.
Fat on the end and tapered towards the front.
As others has said, there is not enough meat on the forearm to remove the amount of wood necessary to make it function with the original equipment from the 1953 model rifle.

However - it would have been possible to remove the trombone tube and operating rods from that model and replace them with a newer version and then you could attach a newer version stock and forearm and still have a functioning weapon.

Unfortunately - no pictures were included with this post and asking a question of this nature without and physical evidence, can be compared to calling a medical doctor on the telephone, saying Doc - I am sick, what is wrong with me!

Without a through examination and some Q&A - there is no way for sure to know what the problem is.

1953 - 2012 is a very long lifespan.
The guns were cheap when new - hence it is entirely possible that someone removed the original finish and replaced the checkering with a hand job....

The only rare ones I have ever seen were presentation models - usually given to important people - such as the king or President of a country or company. There were some of those made at one time - but they usually had some type of gold inlay and other special treatments.

We need to realize here that there were no Walmarts or Dicks Sporting goods or even Grice Gun Shops in 1953 - hence most all of the rifles produced back then were of the same design.

The first to use the collapsible trombone was the Carbines and they were not produced until more then 12 years after the first model was made. Because of its age - anything could have happened between then and now.

It isn't that there isn't any records, its that no one cares.
The Model 70 Winchesters - WERE a collectable firearm.
Some Model 700 Remingtons - early editions and rare calibers fits the same mold.

A model 760 - was just a hunting rifle, there was nothing special about them. They were cheap and they were legal.
Some states do not allow semi auto rifles for the purpose of hunting - hence the slide action fit the bill for quick follow up shots.
There was never much of a following of pump action rifles, due to the fact that the gun writers of the day - Elmer Keith - only liked big bore rifles - of which none were produced in the Gamemaster line.
Jack O'Connor loved his Winchester '270 and others were not known to have embraced a pump action rifle - because there were no modifications which could improve upon its performance.

Gun writers liked to justify the use of free floating barrels, replacing the factory stock with aftermarket, honing the action.
None of this could be done with the Gamemaster- The stock was already free floated, the action was already honed - or could be done by putting some oil inside and pumping real fast, and no one made aftermarket stocks for a $50.00 pump rifle.

To put it in perspective - my dad bought a Remington 721 while in the US Navy at the PX in 1954 for about $50.00
A Winchester model 70 was $65.00

Today that same Model 721 is only worth about $350.00 if in mint condition, while the Winchester in any condition will fetch more then 3 times that amount.
WHY? - because it is collectable.

The Remington Gamemaster was like a old claw hammer, it was cheap, no one bragged about it, you took it out of the gun case once a year, shot a deer with it and put it back in the case. When one owner died, they handed it to the next. When no one wanted it anymore - you took it to the gun shop and you traded it in on what you did want. The next owner bought it, sighted it in, took it hunting, abused it, traded it in on something else when they died or got tired of it. It was never going to appreciate in value. You knew that when you bought it.

A good 760 - ear 1970 - 80 in mint condition sells on the used gun rack for about $500 to $550.00 and the gun shop owner is darn glad to get even that amount for it.
The older ones - the fat forearm ones - no one wants and hence they don't fetch as much money.
Maybe $350.00 in really good condition.
That is the facts of life.