New Owner of a Model 14

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
mruppenkamp

New Owner of a Model 14

Post by mruppenkamp »

I recently inherited my great grandfather's Model 14, .30 REM. After a good cleaning, it seems to be in excellent condition and I would like to start shooting it at the range and I may try deer hunting. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for inexpensive factory rounds to get me started and if there is anything I should know about this model.

The serial number is C 914XX
Thank you for your advice.

Mike
Wulfman

Re: New Owner of a Model 14

Post by Wulfman »

"inexpensive factory rounds"? I don't think so. On the other hand, it depends on what you consider "inexpensive".
This subject comes up alot. Here's a relatively recent thread.

http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... =5&t=17805

Den
mruppenkamp

Post by mruppenkamp »

Thanks, Den. I was told by an unreliable source that I could use .30 caliber rounds. I am glad I didn't listen. Sounds like I'll have to learn to reload or just put the gun up as a decoration.
14carbine

Post by 14carbine »

Congrats on your remington model 14 in .30 rem..these are great guns and wonderful shooters..i say shoot the thing as i bet you will like it as much as i do..my main deer rifle is my model 14 carbine in .30 rem..it has a lyman tang sight and is very accurate up to about 75 or so yds..for deer..the ammo takes a little looking for but not to bad..factory remington green box comes up so often on gunbroker but cost about $40-50 a box...i have purchased .30 rem from western scrounger and the ammo feeds and functions in my guns very well..its even a little more accurate than factory remington stuff...so i say dont put the gun up but shoot and enjoy it....
avery53

Post by avery53 »

These are fantastic rifles, I have a 14, and 141 in 30 Rem.
If you are going to hunt with it, a box of shells will last you awhile. But, if you are planning to use it at the range, loading is a must. They are pricey, if you can find them.
Congrats on a fine gun and heirloom. :D
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Both of the last two entries on this subject are quite right about the ammunition noting you can buy newly loaded stuff using factory brass from various sources including Buffalo Arms, OWS, and boxes of vintage ammunition off Gunbroker or my favorite Ray Giles "Antique Ammunition" website.

Because I am so blabby I'll just re-state the obvious in that the .30 Remington is identical to the 30-30 Winchester except being a rimless cartridge and the loadiing data is the same. For a number of years I actually used 30-30 dies with with a .30 Remington shell holder and it worked like a champ.

The short version of the story is that ammunition is available, loading for the .30 Remington is easy, and these are really neat old guns that need to be shot.

Regards!

Jim
Jim Peterson