700 BDL accuracy

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
RemRB

700 BDL accuracy

Post by RemRB »

My recently acquired older Remington 700 BDL shoots a 5 shot group into 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. I realize this is fully acceptable accuracy. Naturally the forward end of the stock is in full contact with the standard weight barrel. In your experience, would total free floating the barrel increase accuracy? Thanks much for your input.
shot1too

Post by shot1too »

There have been volumes written about improving factory rifles. If you aren't happy with your rifle one of the first things done is to relieve the barrel. Many people glass bed the action at the same time. You didn't say much about the caliber or what the rifle was going to be used for. Another point is do you reload? To get top accuracy you need to reload. If you don't, you will limit your rifle to factory ammunition that is made to fit an across the board standard and not fitted specifically for your rifle's chamber. Do you need the rifle to shoot better than 1.5" If so, open up the barrel channel and see how it does. You can also try other ammo to see if it likes something other than what you are feeding it. Read some articles on the subject to expand your base knowledge. One thing I will warn you about, there are many people who have one hole guns untill you watch them try a shoot a group from the bench. One hole guns are rare. So decide just how much accracy you need. It could save you alot of time and money to to have a rifle that will do the job you want it to do as comparded to a rifle you want to fill a conception. Above all else, have a good time.

Loren RSA
Dave

Post by Dave »

It has been my experience that if you remove the bulge toward the end of the stocks barrel channel your rifle will shoot better. The older Remingtons, in general, usually shoot better than 1 1/2 ". But as shot1too says, try different loads before modifying your rifle. A good indicator for the need to remove the bulge is if your rifle is stringing vertically as the barrel heats up.
HTH
Dave
The Rifleman

Post by The Rifleman »

Before I would do anything to the original stock.
I would first BUY a synthetic stock or I would BUY a new aftermarket Laminate stock.

I would then try to shoot the rifle the way it came from the factory again.

If your accuracy did not improve, I would take it to a gunsmith and have the trigger reworked. If it is the right year / model / it will be as simple as a small trigger adjustment.

If it is a newer model - with the break away screws, then you will need to replace it with a retrofit trigger like a Timney.

There has been many articles written about how to do it yourself and I could refer you to any one of them. But telling an average person how to adjust your trigger at home is about as safe as storing Radioactive waste in your basement.

I know who I am and what I am capable of. But I do not know who someone else is and what technical knowledge they have and how good they are with something that technical.

If the trigger adjustment will not solve your accuracy problems, then you can experiment with the aftermarket stock.

Glass bedding and relieving a original wood stock should be left to a expert gunsmith and not done at home in your garage on a Saturday with a Dremmel tool and a six-pack.

The condition of the barrel crown will also affect accuracy.

Although small improvements can be made with custom loads, the quality of factory production ammo manufactured today is so high that there is very little to improve upon. The gains that you will achieve will be minuscule compared to the big picture.

You have to remember that not all Remington Rifles - out of the box will shot sub MOA. Even with lots of work, some of them do not get much better than a 1-inch bull’s-eye at 100 yards.

Now this is just my opinion, but I have owned more than 20 Remington Rifles in my life and I have shot over one hundred in my life.

I would also have a qualified gunsmith check the condition and the quality of the scope mounts and the scope itself. A cheap scope will ruin accuracy quicker than a firecracker on the 4th of July!

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=220642