Model 14 problem

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
frnkeore

Model 14 problem

Post by frnkeore »

I have a Model 14 in 25 Rem. My second time out with it, I got a jamed cartridge and still can't get the action open. It has a live round in it so, I have to be very careful.

The problem seems to be that it's not quite all the way to battery and the firing pin won't release. I took the butt stock off and tried to fire it with the sear but, it won't.

It seems that I either need to bring the breech block up a little or bring it back down (prefered) but, I haven't been able to do either.

Can anone help me with this?

Frank
nambujim

Re: Model 14 problem

Post by nambujim »

Hi!
I work with these "quirky" guns every day, they are the only guns I work on but have never been able to clear one throught an exchange on the Forum.

I suggest you "try" the following:

Remove the magazine plug
Remove the magazine spring & follower
Remove the action bar cover screw
Try to slide the action bar cover slightly forward

............then see if the the action can be moved (hopefully forward) which might well allow the action bar cover and the cartridge stop to move with it at the same time allowing the "stop" to come out which might allow the jammed cartridge to exit through the tube. If that doesn't happen it "might" at least allow the action ot open fully so you can "dig" the offending cartridge out of the mechinism.

If your ammunition is the least bit too long they will NOT feed properly and you end up with them jamming, OACL is critical on ALL Model 14-14-1/2's. The last chap I worked with through the forum had a similar situation to yours ended up driving five hours to Charlotte for me to clear his rilfe. If you can get the action fully open it will at least give you access to the offending round.

I am not trying to be clever when I say that other than experience my best tools for clearing a jammed round are my rubber "dead blow" hammer and picks to dig at, loosen, and to position the jammed round.

Try the above and report back back, where are you located?
Jim Peterson
frnkeore

Post by frnkeore »

Thank you, but, I guess that I wasn't being clear enough. The cartridge is jammed inside the chamber but, the bolt will not go into complete battery position, so that the firing pin will fall. And I can't find away to get the bolt to drop enough to open the breech. The bolt and receiver seem to be wedged together and won't move either direction.

Frank
rem141

Post by rem141 »

Frank,
Can you tell us anything about the ammo that you are using? Are they reloads done to 30 Rem cases or other cases? Did any work previously? Are the tips .257? As Jim said, was the OAL correct, or too long? A correctly sized cartridge with the correct OAL should drop into the chamber without any effort from the breech block pushing it. These answers may not help to get you gun unstuck, but may help the next guy from falling into the same trap.
Ken Blauch
frnkeore

Post by frnkeore »

The loads were Sierra 75 gr spitzers, new production 30 Rem cases. Loaded single. I fired 3 shots before that one and it work fine. I don't know or care at the moment what caused the jam, I just want the live round OUT of the chamber, by dropping the breech block or getting it home to fire. If I don't get a way to do that from the forum, my only recourse will be to try to tap the bullet back into the case a little. I've not done that for fear that when I tried to release the sear by tapping on it, that it may go off when I tap the bullet. It's not a easy feeling working with a live round. At least if I can do something with the breech block, I won't be any were near the muzzle.

Frank
frnkeore

Post by frnkeore »

I still have the same problem. Are there any ideas out there of how to get the breech block unlocked?

Frank
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Frank!

There are those of us that want to be helpful and then there is this thing called "liability" where we provide advice in writing that results in less than favorable results. If I had the rifle in my shop I could clear it for you, haven't had one yet that I couldn't clear but then there is always a first time.

I have on numerous occasions (on this site) cautioned folks about reloading for the the Model 14 & 14-1/2, bullets to use, what not to do, and the like but be it as it may I don't think that tapping the bullet back into the case would be in your best interest. My thinking here is that you then "eventually" end up with loose powder in the action further adding to your dismay, just a single grain can mess things up.

While I sympathize with you, there is little I can do to help, and others may well have been put off by your statement "at this moment I don't care what caused it........". There are competent "smiths" around but it seems few have ongoing or intimate relationships with these rifles and sincerely regret I cannot readily provide a solution to your problem.

Jim Peterson
Charlotte, NC
Jim Peterson
Rickster

Post by Rickster »

The best way that I know of to clear a stuck live round from the chamber of almost any action design is to thread the barrel off the action. Any other way is quite dangerous.

Its been a few years since I have removed the barrel from a Mo 14. I dont recall if the barrel will unthread with the action bar still in place. If it will, then I would remove the magazine tube and action bar cover, and then unthread the barrel.
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

I realize this post is a bit old by now and the OP may be long gone already, but I fel compelled to give a bit of advice to him, or perhaps someone else who happens along looking for help.

Realize, please that you will not find a better resource to answer all your M14 questions, You may not be aware of who these guys are but many of the guys on this board know all there is to know about these guns and they are VERY willing to help. They are VERY serious about these old guns. They are the gods of the Model 14 realm. I do not put myself in the category of knowing anything but I have had a gazillion questions answered from these guys and a bunch of problems solved. (Everything from "how old are my guns?" to "how do I get a jammed live round out?" and many in between.) Sometimes the answers come on the board. Sometimes they come via email. Sometimes via PMs. Sometimes over the phone, and once in person. The key is to be patient and polite. If you come on demanding answers then you'll probably go away mad. If you chill a sec you might just make some new friends from some very genuine guys. I think a lot of times some of these guys are waiting to check you out to see if you are the kind of guy who is going to lose it and sue them if you shoot yourself in the foot trying to clear that round. Take a deep breath. Be patient. Be polite.
nambujim

Post by nambujim »

Well spoken Carl!

Thought you had dropped off the face of the Earth, good to see you are still in action!

Jim
Jim Peterson
CWarmouth

Post by CWarmouth »

Ha ha. Of course I DID fall off the face of the earth for a while. Why else would I have not been around?
Hope you are well.
30REM14

Post by 30REM14 »

This is not actually a reply, but I have a problem of my own and cannot figure out how to create a new post. Just joined the society hoping I could find some help. Last hunting season I stopped into an upstate gunstore and found an old model 14 for sale. It was just like my Dad's old rifle that I learned to hunt with almost 50 years ago, and I just had to have it. I managed to aquire brass from Reeds in Oklahoma and learned how to reload for it. From the biginning I have experienced an intermittent failure to fire, actually failure to lock in battery. After dissasembleing and thouroughly cleaning it has gotten much worse, and now just never locks in battery and is unusable. I've had 2 different local gunsmiths look at it and advise me to retire the rifle, but I firmly believe that its just a matter of finding a competent gunsmith who is familiar with these rifles. I am hoping that this might be the place. I read a few posts and understand that there are people around here who work on these rifles, but I cannot as yet figure out how to contact them. I guess I'm a bit computer illiterate as well as gun repair illiterate. If any one can help, please let me know. (I'll keep checking back here for a response.) :mrgreen:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

30REM14 wrote:This is not actually a reply, but I have a problem of my own and cannot figure out how to create a new post. Just joined the society hoping I could find some help. Last hunting season I stopped into an upstate gunstore and found an old model 14 for sale. It was just like my Dad's old rifle that I learned to hunt with almost 50 years ago, and I just had to have it. I managed to aquire brass from Reeds in Oklahoma and learned how to reload for it. From the biginning I have experienced an intermittent failure to fire, actually failure to lock in battery. After dissasembleing and thouroughly cleaning it has gotten much worse, and now just never locks in battery and is unusable. I've had 2 different local gunsmiths look at it and advise me to retire the rifle, but I firmly believe that its just a matter of finding a competent gunsmith who is familiar with these rifles. I am hoping that this might be the place. I read a few posts and understand that there are people around here who work on these rifles, but I cannot as yet figure out how to contact them. I guess I'm a bit computer illiterate as well as gun repair illiterate. If any one can help, please let me know. (I'll keep checking back here for a response.) :mrgreen:
Click which forum, and there's a [new topic] instead of the reply.