remington 700, 35 whelan

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
jmonty4u

remington 700, 35 whelan

Post by jmonty4u »

new guy here, I have a model 700 chambered for 35 whelan in excellant condition that I got 15 years ago at a pawn shop. It seems to be a fairly rare cal., any ideas where to find info for it?
Dave

info?

Post by Dave »

What exactly do you want to know?????
jmonty4u

Post by jmonty4u »

How long the whelan has been around, how many are out there, just stuff you wonder when you realize you have something a little different.
Dave

Post by Dave »

35 Whelen 700 Remington made in: 1988 – 2003, 2005; 1988 Classic; 2004 - now Custom Shop only.
It may be a little different but I don't think it's different enough to bring a premium if you were to sell it. Unless it's a Classic model or one from the custom shop. The whelan is the balistic equivilant to the 350 rem mag. It's made from a necked up 30-06

.35 Whelan

Notes: There is some controversy as to whether Colonel Townsend Whelan actually was involved in the creation of this round, or James Howe simply named the round after Colonel Whelan, who was a noted gun authority at the time. It began as a wildcat round that was simply a necked up .30-06 Springfield round, without any other significant changes. Ackley later improved the round, changing the case to eliminate headspace problems, underpowering in the propellant charge, and poor ballistics. Though Remington chose to manufacture the earlier, inferior version in 1987, they later switched to the improved version in 1988 and put it into production. The .35 Whelan is good for hunting game on the smallish-side of medium up to large North American game, and is easily handloaded.
some loads here:
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/defau ... er&Source=
HTH
Dave
jmonty4u

Post by jmonty4u »

thank you for the info, wasn't going to sell it, just wanted to know a little more about it.