Remington 600 660

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
rmwright1

Remington 600 660

Post by rmwright1 »

I am reposting this thread from January.

I recently picked up what appeared to be a Model 600 in .243 caliber. After I actually studied it I looked at the obvious - the model number stamped on the receiver - it was stamped 660. However, I was duped by the following facts: It had a 600 stock(no black tips or caps), vent rib, polished bolt. The bolt and receiver serial numbers matched (900XX). I have contacted Remington, and they are little help regarding historical information. I talked to two different people at two different times and got two different answers. One said they made a few 660's with vent ribs, polished bolts, and the serial numbers were of the same block, the other said that the 660 was never manufactured with a vent rib, etc. Does any one know with conviction if any 660's were made with a vent rib, etc, or of 600's being mis-stamped?

Thanks Again
Dick
Dave

600 660

Post by Dave »

Hi RMWRIGHT1,

I've always been a fan of the Rem 600's. I was always under the impression that none of the 660's had a vent rib. But then one day at a local gun show a few years ago I saw a 660 with a rib and the guy that had it said it was original to that gun. It's the only 660 I've ever seen with a rib. I tried to find out more about it and got the same conflicting answers as you did. To this day I'm not sure one way or another. Hopefully someone here will give us the right info. One thing you can check is, the 600 has an 18 1/2" barrel and the 660 has a 20" barrel. So if your gun has a 18 1/2" barrel it may have been rebarreled using a 600 barrel. Maybe?
HTH
Dave
600RemGuy

660-600

Post by 600RemGuy »

Somewhere I have in print that some 600s were released with 660 receivers, but can't put my hands on it.
rmwright1

Post by rmwright1 »

600remguy

If you could find that, it would sure take a load off my mind. There is a forum on Gunbroker.com "ask the experts" a lot of people claim they have 660's with vent ribs, but no pictures as of yet. Mine is a 600 in every way except for the 660 stamped on the receiver. Anyway, the one I have just doesn't look like it has been altered from the factory. You can tell when someone has switched barrels, etc. The Remington factory folks can give you very little information. It would be nice if one of Remington Society people that have access to Remington's archives would check it out, but they probably get thousands of like requests from other members. I really appreciate your response, and if you come across that article I would a appreciate a copy. And, thanks for the response.

Regards
Dick