Longevity of barrels???

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
fknipfer

Longevity of barrels???

Post by fknipfer »

How many rounds should a person be able to put thru a Model 7600 before it would wear out and need replacement. I saw on another board some made a statement that they would wear out in 2000rds. That seems awfully short to me. Anyone have an idea please let me know, no particular reason just want to know. If you shoot much and keep an eye it would appear you would have to change barrels every three or four years.

fknipfer
NRA Life Member
Own 7600, 870, 700 and proud of them.
I'm not a collector I am a gun accumlator
US Army Veternan
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Hot high velocity loads can and often do wear the barrel out in as many rounds as 2000 - based on precision accuracy standards. 220 Swift, 264 Mag, 300 Wby are prime examples of "overbore" cartridges that fire fast small bullets relative to their cartridge capacity.

Normal cartridges like usually built into Model 7600 are not so much likely to wear out given reasonable care. Plus the 7600 is not a precision accurate arm.
wrhusted

Post by wrhusted »

Here's a couple of useful articles by the the Gun Nut:

Barrel Life, Part I

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/ ... e_par.html

Barrel Life, Part II

http://fieldandstream.blogs.com/gunnut/ ... par_1.html
Wayne R. Husted
Rafsob

Post by Rafsob »

Rem725 wrote: Plus the 7600 is not a precision accurate arm.
Just what is that supposed to mean? We are not talking about a zip gun! I own a model 760 and it is a very accurate rifle.

Just what is your definition of a precision accurate arm??? :roll:
Just another voice in the crowd!
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

Rafsob wrote:
Rem725 wrote: Plus the 7600 is not a precision accurate arm.
Just what is that supposed to mean? We are not talking about a zip gun! I own a model 760 and it is a very accurate rifle.

Just what is your definition of a precision accurate arm??? :roll:

1/4"-1/2" groups at 100yds type accuracy. Note we are primarily looking at overbore cartridges that do show barrel wear soon.

760's etc. are typically not overbore type calibres nor are they typically sub 1/2 MOA.
Rafsob

Post by Rafsob »

"1/4"-1/2" groups at 100yds type accuracy".

In someone's dreams. :?

I don't ever remember hearing custom gun makers making this claim.
Dave

1/2 inch groups

Post by Dave »

I have 2 early 700 varmiters. One in 22-250 and one in 6mm Rem. which consistantly shoot below 1/2 an inch at 100 yrds. all day long. I have a 100 yrd. range in my back yard and many of my friends shoot here too. I have seen many of their guns shoot below 1/2 " groops. Of course you must have a GOOD rest and be ABLE TO SHOOT to get groups like that. I must say though, I have never seen a 7600 get that kind of grouping. They seem to shoot around 2 inch. groups or a little less. Just my 2 cents.
Rem725

Post by Rem725 »

When I shot benchrest years ago i had one rifle that would group 1/4" with regularity. A 3/8" group was a disappointment. It was a 6mm rebarreled 722. The barrel was full size all the way out to 26". I bedded it in a walnut 40x type stock and painted it orange. All the fancy reloading techniques were not very needed. All I did to the brass was ream the necks inside and trim to length.

Another great rifle I WISH I still had was a 725 280 that with no special treatment other than simple freefloated glass bedding would shoot factory 140 gr into 1/2" at 100yds time after time. That rifle was the exception to the rule.

My dad had a 300Wby that for the 2000 rounds or so would group exceptionall well. About 3/4" if I recall from decades ago. He had it rebarreled by a master barrel fitter more than once. He determined that by removing the Wby freebore and reducing the load accordingly, he kept the high velocity and the barrels lasted longer.

My benchrest days were about 1958-1969 then I picked up pistol target shooting.
Rafsob

Post by Rafsob »

If you got those groups, God bless ya. Me I couldn't get em if I try to buy 'em. ;)

Me, now, I'm a meat hunter and will be glad to get MOA from my hunting rifles and pistols. I have, however, shot quarter inch groups with my .223 NEF rifle on ocassion and was very impressed. But that was only on ocassion and not the norm. :lol:
ih88

Post by ih88 »

my 7600 in 243 will shoot .3" at 100 yards with nosler ballistic tips in 70 grain when i clamp it in one of the small gun vices. i cannot hold this light gun still enough myself. this is the gun i sent back to remington because of poor accuracy and they replaced the barrel. its my favorite gun at the moment. my 700 bdl varminter will do .25" groups and my savage will do .2". both are 22-250. also i started to work on loads for my 30-06 760 and got it down to .75". my biggest problem is holding still enough. jim.