7600 243 accuracy problems

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
ih88

Post by ih88 »

hi folks, this is my firt post here. i just bought a new 7600 in 243 and i cant get the gun to group. they range from 2 to 5 inches. the barrel has been properly broken in and i have tried 55,70, 72,80,and 85 grain bullets with three different powders and different charges of powders. nothing helped so i called remington and they said to send it back, so i did. my 700 bdl varminter will shoot .260 groups and my new savage will shoot .150 groups. i dont expect it too shoot this good, but i was hoping to find a load that would be 1 MOA or better. does anyone know how well these guns should group? thanks, jim.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Sounds like you've done most everything short of gunsmithing. I am very curious what Remington will do or say. Please let us know when you get it back.

Dave
ih88

Post by ih88 »

i'll keep you informed. jim.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jim,
The reason I'm curious is: A friend and shooting buddy of mine bought a new 700 in 22-250 last year and it was shooting the same way your7600 is. We tried numerous loads to no avail also. So we swaged the barrel and found that about 5 inches past the chamber we found a 3 inch area that the lead swage just about fell through then tighted right back up. He sent the rifle back to Remington with an explination of what we found and Remington sent it back untouched and said that the rifle met their "quality" standards. So yours isn't the first horror story about the new Remingtons. I hope they do more for you than they did for my buddy.

Dave
ih88

Post by ih88 »

hi folks, i talked to remington today about my 7600. they test fired the gun and determined that it needs a new barrel assembly and the receiver needs reblued due to a blemish in the bluing. i am very pleased with this but it will be another month or so before its done. thats OK with me as long as its fixed. do you think they will test fire it before they send it back? jim.
ih88

Post by ih88 »

i got my 7600 back from remington yesterday. they did a nice job on reblueing the receiver, and they replaced the barrel. i sent it to them in the box with all that came with the gun and i got it back without the original box, iron sights, manual, and trigger lock tools. i'll give them a call monday and ask for these items back. i will break in the barrel today and hopefully get the gun on the bench to see how it shoots. i'll let you know the results. jim.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Glad to hear you got what you wanted from Remington. I've learned over the years to not send back anything to the manufacturer they don't ask for. Let us know how it shoots with its new barrel and if you get your stuff back.

Dave
ih88

Post by ih88 »

well i tested the gun the past 2 days. it definately shoots better than it did. a couple groups were 3/4" and the largest was 3", probably just a flier. i averaged all the groups and it works out too 1.6 inches. the majority of the groups were 1.25". could be worse but i hope to get it down to at least 1 inch groups. i noticed in the sun that the barrel they put on doesn't have very heavy bluing, but i'm not sending it back for that. is there anything i can do to get a deeper bluing myself? thanks, jim.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I doubt there is anything you can do to get a deeper blue other than to bring it to a gunsmith and have the whole thing reblued. In my experience, all of the cold blue products out there are crap. They seem to wash off with solvent leaving different colored blotches. What about the stuff Remington kept? Did they say they would send it back?
ih88

Post by ih88 »

hi dave, i got it all back but the original box. jim.
ih88

Post by ih88 »

i tried some different loads today in the 7600 and i got a .6" 3 shot group, a .3" 3 shot group and a .4" 2 shot group. also a couple 1.5" groups. i suddenly like this gun a lot more. jim.
Dave

Post by Dave »

Jim,
I can see why you like it more now! I'm glad to hear that a new Remington shoots. Even if it had to go back to do it. I wish you good shooting and good luck this fall.

Dave