Remington 600 Question.

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
halfneck

Remington 600 Question.

Post by halfneck »

I have been looking for a compact rifle for a while. Today I found a Remington 600 in .308 with a vent rib barrel. Only thing I saw wrong was the plastic trigger guard was a bit warped. Asking price was $225.

Anything I need to check out or have concerns about? Otherwise I am going to buy it.

Thanks for any help.
HKcarbine

rem 600

Post by HKcarbine »

nice rifle, I have three. you can get nice steel trigger guard from brownells. sounds like a good price on auction they are usually over 300.
halfneck

Post by halfneck »

Sounds like I am in luck then.

Is there any issue with the Vent Rib affecting accuracy? I am planning on putting a scope on it, any problems finding rings & mounts or issues with certain Scope Objective sizes?

Any advice & recommendations on 600's appreciated.
HKcarbine

rem 600

Post by HKcarbine »

The rib is a kind of plastic so should not affect accuracy. there are a number of scope and ring manufacturers available, leopold, millet, weaver. As I recall the bolt spacing is the same as for an XP100 and model 7. All my 600s have turned into custome rifles. A very nice action and strong. I think you will enjoy it. The only pain is the bolt removal, ie sticking something next to the bolt on left side to depress lock. Each of mine has had a custom release made which is easily accesable.
Dave

600's are great rifles!

Post by Dave »

I also have 2 600s. In my view, it's the best hunting rifle out there. I have a 308 that I use for whitetails. So far it has dispatched every deer with one shot. It is also VERY accurate. It will consistently shoot under one MOA as long as I don't let it get too hot. The best thing about the 600 is it's carryability. Not only is it light but it's short enough so I carry it upside down on my shoulder so as not to catch the barrel on tree limbs.
As far as your plastic trigger guard goes, I don't think I have ever seen one that wasn't bulged out a little. As HKcarbine said you can get a metal guard for it, but even bulged they work just fine. Around here, $225 is a GREAT price! At the gun shows here in Vt. I haven't seen one going for less than $500 for the last few years. ( I go to almost every gun show in the area I can get to). With the magnums (350 Rem. Mag. and 6.5 Rem. Mag.) the prices around here are in the $1000 range. I have a 350 that I used to kill my first moose. I put one in the boiler room and the bull took 2 steps and fell to the shot. Also be aware that there was a recall on the 600's. It is a defect with the safety that Remington says the guns COULD discharge when you release the safety. I have never had either of mine "fixed" and have never had a problem. A buddy had his done and the factory gouged out a substantial amount of wood around the safety. When my buddy complained, Remington told him to send it back so they could see it. When it came back it was in a new Mohawk birch stock and Remington kept the old walnut stock and wouldn't send it back to him. So I guess it's like, you send your gun, you takes your chances. If you decide not to buy it, let me know where it is and I will buy it myself at that price. As far as scoping your rifle, there are 2 different mounts you can use. One is a two piece base that leaves the mag well easily accessible or the one piece that partly covers the mag well. Some say the one piece is stronger but I have 2 piece mounts on both of mine and I never have had to change my zero even once in 20 years. As I said, these are GREAT rifles. I sure you will love it once you get it in your hands and shoot it. One more thing, when you shoot it, hold on to it. The 308 has a strong recoil. Not as bad as the 350 but more than most 308s. Good luck and good shooting with your great new 600.

Dave
788-man

Post by 788-man »

I believe the Remington Model 600/660/600 Mohawk Trigger Recall ocured around 1974. The last time I checked Authorized Remington Repair Centers would still make the "repairs" without charge to the Original Owner. I have asked, but have not been told, as to the alterations that are actually made to the trigger assembly. It appears that there are some component change-outs.

Reworked triggers have a small "peen" mark on the side of the trigger near the top.

The 600 Mohawk was in production when the recall occured. I have been told, but can not confirm, that the "Gold Trigger" 600 Mohawks were shipped with the modified trigger.

I agree with the other 600 Owners, $225 for a 600 in almost any condition, is a good price. Good luck.