Model 24 a family treasure

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Rifles
Rem-Model14

Model 24 a family treasure

Post by Rem-Model14 »

I am unable to share a photo here so below is a link at google picture sharing so you can see this rifle that I first shot when I was 6 years old. We had been out hunting and I was learning from my dad about hunting squirrels and how to safely handle a gun. I started tagging along at the age of 5 and this day we had the limit of fox squirrel and we found a tin can and my dad set it up on the stump and taught me how to shoot for the first time. That began my love affair with all sorts of firearms.

Recently, my father who is now in his 80's gave me the rifle making me the third generation to own this model 24 made in 1931. The memories this rifle brings up when I hold it, look at it, or shoot it I will never forget. A lot of special memories of my dad and I hunting come with this little .22. It is hard to believe that when I see my son shooting it that he is the age my father was when he taught me how to shoot. Time sure flies.

Click on the link below if you want to see a picture. Thank you for all the great information you all share here. I have found it helpful and interesting. While this rifle is a sentimental favorite the Remington I enjoy the most is a Model 14 .30 REM.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QMZ6taXHQhJQ54Q8A
"Teach them to shoot"
Eddie Southgate

Re: Model 24 a family treasure

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Great rifles , I love the looks of yours , well used but cared for . Hope you enjoy it for many more years . Hope to find one for myself one of these days , that and a 25 are pretty close to the top of my bucket list .
Thanks for sharing your memories .

Eddie Southgate
Rem-Model14

Post by Rem-Model14 »

Thank you Eddie,

The memories get more important the older I get. A lot of rounds have went through the 24 during the past 5 decades. Plan on passing it to my son someday.

The Model 25 is a very nice rifle! Are you looking for one in a .25-20 or a .32-20?

-Chuck
"Teach them to shoot"
Eddie Southgate

Post by Eddie Southgate »

Either one since I like both . Not really what you would call looking just hoping one will show up when I got a pocket full of cash (rare ) or something good to trade . Getting close to retirement so I am trying to get completely debt free, kinda puts a crimp in your gun budget .

Eddie