#2 -Rolling Block -Unknown Caliber

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Larry Marshall

#2 -Rolling Block -Unknown Caliber

Post by Larry Marshall »

I have recovered my great- grandfathers Remington Rolling block rifle.The rifle was found about 50 years ago above the coal fired furnace in the basement of his home in St. Catherines , Ontario ,Canada. I Have replaced the Stock through Dixie Gun Works and the Butt Plate through treebone carving in New Mexico. There are absolutely no markings on the rifle other than Remington Arms ,Ilion New York located just behind the rear sight and the number 1454 on the tang that the stock fits into. The number 1454 is also seen when the forearm is removed on the underside of the octagonal barrel. It is definitely a rimfire cartridge of appx. 38 caliber. I am at a loss as to the exact caliber it might be and would like to pass it along to my son with whatever can be ascertained as to the History or value etc. I remember walking along the welland canal as a youth with my great grand father and he would shoot rats with the rifle. The finish on the metal parts is still about 90% because of the dry environment it was in for so many years. My guess is that the rifle is over 100 years old. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I have never seen another like it ,although it may not be very rare. Thanks in advance Larry E. Marshall-Ph.D. (theshrinklarry@earthlink.net)
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Only one sure way to determine the caliber, and that is to do a chamber cast with Cerrosafe. There are so many different cartridges in the .38 range that it could be anything from a .38 rimfire, .38 Colt, .38-40, etc.....
The most likely candidate would be the .38 rinfire or .38 Long Colt, but there's no way to tell from where I'm sitting.