Help me ID this

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
motoprotor

Help me ID this

Post by motoprotor »

Hi Im new and I hate to be the guy who registers to ask just a couple questions but here it goes.

My dad passed last year and left his gun collection to me. I have what I determined to be a Remington Rolling Block Carbine, but not sure its real age or value. Check it out. I also, have alot of other guns I could post if interested, let me know. I was also directed here by another forum

Stamped on the top Remington Rolling Block carbine" and the only markings on it are, "E Remington and Sons, Ilion, NY, USA. Pat May 3rd 1864, May 7th, June 11th, Nov 12th, Dec 24th 1872, Dec 31st 1872, Sept 9th 1873, Jan 12th, March 18th 1874."

And whats the signifiance of the stamped "B" ?
tjack

Re: Help me ID this

Post by tjack »

I would say that your carbine came out of Argentina. This is based on the heavy-handed refinish that is so typical of these firearms. The receiver has been heavily polished as indicated by the "dishing" around the receiver screws. Remington did no blue the receivers of military Rolling Blocks. Also, the barrel band and front sight are not correct. The front sight looks like one from a sporting rifle. The "B" on the side of the barrel is an inspector's mark.
motoprotor

Post by motoprotor »

Is it worth anything in its present condition?
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

You don't give the calibre and chambering.
motoprotor

Post by motoprotor »

I am told via another site it is a 45-70
tjack

Post by tjack »

Your carbine is no doubt chambered for the .43 Spanish cartridge if it is still original. The most common chamberings in these was either .43 Egyptian or .43 Spanish. It is highly unlikely that it is .45-70. Without a chamber cast all anyone can do is guess. If the bore and chamber are clean it would make a good shooter. As for value, check GunBroker or GunsAmerica and see what people are ASKING, which is not to say getting, for similar guns.
motoprotor

Post by motoprotor »

Yeah he had a pretty nice collection which consisted of:
An old Mauser HSC, A Belgian made, preWWII Browning 9mm HiPower w/ wood stock attachment. West German Police Walther P38/P1 variant, and Remington Model 34, Winchester Model 94-30 WCF, and a Browning Bar-22 Semi-Auto rifle. I got pics if yall curious
sperrin52

Post by sperrin52 »

This is a really old thread, but my father just passed on to me what looks like an identical rifle. A search brought me here. The inscription on top of the receiver is more worn than the one originally posted here, but from what I could decipher the dates are all identical. The only difference that I can see is that mine does not have the ring attached to the receiver. I'm glad I found this, so I could verify everything in the inscription.
Attachments
Remington Rolling Block Carbine
Remington Rolling Block Carbine
Remington Rolling Block Carbine left post.jpg (173.16 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
Receiver Inscription
Receiver Inscription
Remington Receiver Inscription post.jpg (184.14 KiB) Viewed 5185 times
ehull

Post by ehull »

Your "carbine" also looks to be a remanufactured rifle. It lacks the sling ring on the left side of the frame, and has sling swivels on the buttstock and band like a rifle does. Also, the forestock is too long to be that of a carbine- check if you can see the original ramrod/clearing rod slot at the tip.
sperrin52

Post by sperrin52 »

No, no rod slot. And the forestock is certainly longer than the one in the original post. But I had thought that carbines were characterized by the short barrel, but you are saying it involves the forestock too? When would remanufacturing happen - if the gun had been damaged and then rebuilt?
ehull

Post by ehull »

These refinished and rebuilt rifles and carbines were imported in the 1950s and 60s. They were advertised in the American Rifleman and other mags for cheap prices, as shooters.
jon_norstog

Post by jon_norstog »

Sperrin,

That looks an awful lot like my first rifle! I would have to guess Argentine, and an arsenal refinish... the bores were recut on a lot of those and they tended to like a bullet larger than the original .439" diameter of the .43 Spanish. Some differences in your gun: i don't see the stub of octagon barrel most of them had, and you indicate no filled-in cleaning rod hole in the forestock.

My Uncle told me that those rifles were refurbed under the Peron regime, during WW II. The "carbines" were mostly cut down rifles - unless they have the lanyard ring.

I paid high dollar for mine: $21.95 shipping included. My baby brother picked up his RB long rifle for $10.00. They were great shooters and ammo was cheap, if unreliable. We're old men now and we still take an Argy each along on elk hunts, as a backup gun.

jn