i own a no. 7

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
rafter7

i own a no. 7

Post by rafter7 »

:D I bought a 7 about a year a go in 22lr and my question is were most of them in 22 cal. or were the other cals. more poular?

i have a few remmies they include a hepburn 38-40hepburn / 5 no. 4 rolling blocks 22 and 32 rim 511 unfired 513s with extra fancy wood factory option 34 and 34NRA model 12c with target sights 3/ 541s 3/ 700s

can anyone guess how many no.7's there are still in existance? i know they are rare i took it to a gun show to show a friend and i just about got maulled one guy asked to look at it and he held it for 10 minutes and kept hounding me for a price two other guys give me thier cards to keep in hoping i will call them but most guys dont even know what they are looking at

i just found this sight so i thought i would through in my 2 cents
[your ad in single shot exchange]

thank you for your time and any help you may offer
rafter-7
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Hi Rafter7,
Most of the Rem #7's were in .22 rimfire, or .25 Stevens. The old catalogs I have say that other calibers were available on special order. As to numbers made in .22, I don't know, but I'd guess it was the most common caliber.
How many exist today is impossible to guess. As you mentioned, there were so few that people go crazy when they see one, if they know what it is. If they don't know, they still get a bit crazy wondering what it is!
rafter-7

Post by rafter-7 »

well i bought that gun to please myself and every time i pull it out i get a "warm fuzzy felling inside" and life is good
Do you know a man in glascow mont. last name bender he has a lot of extreame marlins multiple engraved specinmins email if you are interested

rafter-7

rem 541s

Post by Guest »

rafter7 wrote::D I bought a 7 about a year a go in 22lr and my question is were most of them in 22 cal. or were the other cals. more poular?

i have a few remmies they include a hepburn 38-40hepburn / 5 no. 4 rolling blocks 22 and 32 rim 511 unfired 513s with extra fancy wood factory option 34 and 34NRA model 12c with target sights 3/ 541s 3/ 700s

can anyone guess how many no.7's there are still in existance? i know they are rare i took it to a gun show to show a friend and i just about got maulled one guy asked to look at it and he held it for 10 minutes and kept hounding me for a price two other guys give me thier cards to keep in hoping i will call them but most guys dont even know what they are looking at

i just found this sight so i thought i would through in my 2 cents
[your ad in single shot exchange]

thank you for your time and any help you may offer
rafter-7
John Gyde

No. 7

Post by John Gyde »

Some general info on the No. 7. They were made from left over Model 1871 pistol frames. A great deal of hand fitting was involved resulting in a price of $24.00. The No. 2 rifle sold for $12.00 at the same time. The No. 7 was offered in 22 Short and 22 Long Rifle, as well as 25-10 Stevens. Special orders were obviously available as a 32-20 has been examined. One Remington flyer mentioned other calibers, but none have been observed. Serial #s started @ 300,001. In mid-production a "T" was added as a prefix on the serial #. Approximately 350 No. 7s were produced from 1903-1910. The No. 7 was last offered in the 1904-05 catalog. Remington records show that it was made (in very limited quantities) through 1910.

I looked for a No. 7 for many years. It was one of the few Rem 22s that I held out until I could find an original in good shape. I found a few that had been altered, so they are a deduction from the surviving specimens. Who knows how many are left?

John Gyde