NYS Rolling Block Rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
oldremguy

NYS Rolling Block Rifle

Post by oldremguy »

Most of the New York State Rolling Block Rifles that I have encountered have had the following 3-line patent dates on the upper tang as follows

REMINGTONS ILION, N. Y. U. S. A.
Pat. May 3rd Nov 15 1864 April 17 1866
Aug 27th 1867 Nov 7th 1871

On Oct. 19, 2003, I wrote about a NYS rifle that I have, that had part of the patent date stamped to the bottom of the trigger guard.

This rifle has the following patent dates stamped on the upper tang

On the bottom of the trigger guard is stamped the following patent dates on 2-lines
Pat D Aug 27th 1867
Nov 7th 1871

Now I have a new NYS Rolling block rifle that has the following later model patent dates

E. REMINGTON & SONS ILION, N. Y. U. S. A.
Pat. May 3rd, 1864 May 7th, June 11th, Nov. 12th, Dec. 24th, 1872
Dec. 31st, 1872 Sept. 9th 1873 Jan. 12, March 18th 1874

Has any one else encountered a NYS Rifle with this later patent date.
ed

commercial NYS model

Post by ed »

It is possible that you have the circa 1887 commercially marketed "New York State Model" rifle. These are listed in the revised price list of that year, by Lamberson, Furman & co. Some have been found with a patented rubber padded buttplate. They will lack any stock inspectors' marks.
oldremguy

NYS Rolling Block Rifle

Post by oldremguy »

Ed,
Thanks for the information. It could be a commercially made New York State Model rifle. It does lack the inspection marks on the stock ( H.B.H. and SNY) that a normally found on the right and left side of the stock just in back of the receiver. But this gun was sold to New York State, on the stock where the H.B.H and the SNY would be stamped is 36 Sep. Co. on both sides of the stock, which was a company in the New York State National Guard.
ehull

NYS possibilities

Post by ehull »

In reply, it's possible that, (1) the buttstock is a replacement for a broken one on an issue rifle, or (2) the company purchased a replacement or a "competition grade" rifle. If it is .45-70 then it's the latter.
oldremguy

NYS Rolling Block Rifle

Post by oldremguy »

Hi Ed,

It is possible that the butt stock is a replacement for a broken one on an issued rifle. I have a
photo of Company D, 12 Regiment, New York Nationl Guard taken on Aug.23, 1892 at a
Buffalo, NY railroad yard with the soldiers in front of the railroad car and some of them are
standing on top of it. One of the soldiers is kneeling next to his dog and the butt stock on his gun
is broken off in back of the tang and he used his sling to tie it to the upper half of his barrel. Or it
could be that the company purchased a complete replacement gun. The rifle is in 50-70 and is not
a competition grade gun in 45-70. I do have a NYS rifle in 45-70 in my collection. It also has the
same patent dates stamped on the tang as the gun above. It could be a competition grade
rifle, the receiver has a little of the case coloring on it and the barrel retains all of its bluing. It
doesn’t have barrel band springs, but has the barrel bands that are tighten with a screw like are
found on the later production models of the rolling block. The slide on the rear sight has a small
peep hole drilled in the center of it. It also doesn't have any inspectors stamps on the butt stock.

Matt

Post by Guest »

Hi, after reading this I checked my NY State 50/70 RRB and it has the following markings on the tang:

Aug 27th 1867 Nov 7th 1871

And is marked on the butstock: 43rd Sept. Co. Is there a site that would have more information on this unit?

thanks, Steve
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Hi Steve,

I don't have to much information for you on the 43rd Sept. Co.
I have in my collection from the General Head-Quarters, State of New York, Adjutant-General's Office, General Orders No.23, dated May 24, 1889 which states:
I. Rifle practice will be required of every office and enlisted man
(excepting those of organizations not armed with rifles, and musicians),
of the Third and Fourth Brigades, on the usual ranges as follows:

Then it lists the companys
The 43rd Separate Company is to have rifle practice on June 27th and 28th at Olean, New York.
You could try the Olean Historical Society, may be they could provide you some information on the 43rd

Good Luck,
Matt

Post by Guest »

oldremguy, Thanks for the information. Steve