Rolling Block No.2 in 44-40

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
anzaccookies

Rolling Block No.2 in 44-40

Post by anzaccookies »

Hi all, this is my first post so take it easy on me :D I have the opportunity to purchase a Rem Rolling Block No.2 (i believe) in 44-40. I am told there were only 1000 made of this particular rifle (which i find hard to believe, but stranger things have happened). I only have the one picture at the moment but would like your input as to its history and its worth. It appears to be missing the rear sight.

Cheers

Marcus
Longknife

Re: Rolling Block No.2 in 44-40

Post by Longknife »

Marcus, # 2 sporting rifles were made from 1873 to 1910. In Fladermans Antique Gun Guide he states "Exact quantities are unknown but may be considered substantial". The plain ones don't bring much money. Your best bet is to check a couple of online gun auctions and see what they are going for, or at least how much people are bidding them up to. Don't be fooled by asking or buy-it-now prices. It takes two, a seller and a buyer to determine true value....Ed
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

The figure of 1,000 made is of course incorrect as you assumed. John Gyde says the highest number known is 42801, and he figures there were at least that many made. The .44-40 is probably the rarest of calibers in the #2 and from what I've seen they get a pretty good premium. Your picture looks like the final variation built from 1889-1909. One in that condition (if it has a good bore) would bring over $1200 around here, and maybe more.-Vall
anzaccookies

Post by anzaccookies »

Thankyou for the replies. I have since received a few more photos.

As you can see in the last picture, the barrel has a blank in place of where the dovetailed milling is for the rear sight, and there is a V notch milled into the top of the receiver (the same as the rifle in this older thread http://www.remingtonsociety.com/forums/ ... f=4&t=1203 ) Is this a standard thing or should it have a barrel mounted rear sight? I think it is 38-40 (Stamped 38-W under barrel infront of the foreend) not 44-40 (even though the guy says he has fired 44-40 rounds though it and it is registered as a 44-40) Any ideas?

Cheers

Marcus
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like it's been rebored to .44-40 and probably because it had a worn out .38 cal. bore. That blank is about as nice a fit as I've ever seen. Most likely it had a tang sight at one time, so the rear dovetail was filled. I don't know what to say about the notch in the receiver top? I can't ever remember seeing a #2 with a notch in the top, but it sure looks original. On page 32 of John Gyde's book on Rem .22 rimfires he shows a nice #2 that looks like it might have that same notch, but I can't be sure.
If the gun has been rebored from .38-40 to .44-40, it will affect the value, but how much I'm unsure. I still think it would be worth around $1,000, even with a rebore.
anzaccookies

Post by anzaccookies »

What would be the sight options available for this rifle? I would like to put a tang peep on it, who would manufacture such a beast? Can you buy aftermarket buckhorn sights too?
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

It looks like after the rear sight was removed from the barrel and the slot was plugged, that someone installed a tang sight to the upper tang on the receiver. You can see in the picture showing the receiver with the hammer pulled back and the breech block open, that one of the screws used for the tang sight is in back of the hammer. The follow web site has one of the types of tang sights that may of been used on this gun
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,1947.html
You will have to find out what the spacing between the two screws are, so you can get the right tang sight for it, because thay are made with different hole spacings. Hope this helps you out.

Have a good day
Matt
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Unlike a number of commercial rollers, the #2 Sporting Rifles were almost always D&T for a tang sight, even when none was ordered. I haven't seen one yet that wasn't.
Rem. used a std. spacing of 1.90" on center for their sporting rifles, and both of my #2's are this spacing. Correct original tang sights for a Rem. in 1.90" spacing are extremely hard to find, and when they show up used on Fleabay or one of the gun auction sites they go fast for big bucks! So far I haven't had deep enough pockets to win one of them, so the only tang sight I have is on my Hepburn that came with it.-Vall
anzaccookies

Post by anzaccookies »

Thanks again for the help fellas. So the Marbles style tang sight would be the go. My pockets wouldnt be deep enough for an original, so i might try to locate one here in Australia

Cheers

Marcus