RB #1 Sporter ....No Tang Markings? Please Advise

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Yellowhouse

RB #1 Sporter ....No Tang Markings? Please Advise

Post by Yellowhouse »

I just received this sporter through an auction.

It has everything a #1 sporter should and looks totally honest. Full octagon and squared off receiver (flats). Metal has browned but no rust. Receiver has very feint CCH signs and is brown. Serial is 16xx and underside of barrel is marked 44S which is 44-77. Mirror bore and tight action. Top barrel flat has "Remington Arms Co, Ilion, NY. Patent dates (last is 1873) stamped on left side at front of receiver. I was expecting the patent dates on a bonafide sporter to be on the tang. Am I concerned.........yes!

Signed,
Need to know quick!
oldremguy

Re: RB #1 Sporter ....No Tang Markings? Please Advise

Post by oldremguy »

Sounds like you have a very nice sporting model.
I think the very early ones were marked on the tang, most of the ones that I have seen were marked on the left side of the Receiver.
I have one Sporting Model, full octagen barrel in 32 long rimfire and a Creedmoor musket in
44-90 or 45-100 special and both have the patent dates stamped on the left side of the receiver, ending in 1873.

Have a good day,
Matt
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Thanks!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

From what I've been able to gather over the last 4 years since I found my #1 Sporter, the Sporting rifles in either #1, 1 1/2, etc. are not marked on the top tang like the military Rolling Blocks were. They usually had holes for tang sights, and I assume this is the reason for no markings, as the std. 1.90" spacing would be right through the rollstamp.
Mine has no holes for the optional tang sight, but since it is a sporter the rollstamp was left off to allow for this possible option.
One other thing too; I've found out the Sporters are a bit rarer than I previously thought. None were made after Rem. went into receivership in 1886.-Vall
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Thanks. Finally heard from the guy who sold it to me and he said basically what you did. A few years ago he said he sold a 4-digit companion to this one in 50-70. Heavy 32 in barrel and R&R sight. Brought 8 grand!

I've search for one of these for nearly 20 years and never saw anything but rust buckets or cobbled together (literally) at gunshows. Finally, I've gotten my dream rifle and caliber!!!.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I know what you mean! I thought I'd never get a Rem Sporter, and then there it was, and in the same caliber as your's! Mine's no creeampuff, but a very decent gun, with great bore and the single set trigger. I love the extra heavy 34" barrel too!
This is my #1 (2nd back from the front row):
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Nice looking rifle(s). Say, isn't the first one that Type 33A you had modified to 38-55? I was wondering what caliber it was originally...a 9 something by 55 or so??? I've started looking for one of those ever since I saw it on the Marlin forum. They are beauts!!!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes that is the Type 33A. It was already rechambered to .38-55 when I got it. I believe that they were originally something like 9.3x55R? Can't remember for sure.-Vall
JimMill

Post by JimMill »

I have 4 #1 sporting rifles. All have the dates on the side of receiver not on the tang. All have E. Remington and Sons on the top barrel flat.

How do we know none were made after 1886?

Jim
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

From what I've gathered in talking to John Gyde, Roy Marcot, and a few other sources. All have agreed that the #1 Sporter was not made after the bankruptcy in 1886. I just purchased another #1 Spoorter complete action, and it also does not have any markings on the top tang, and no tang sight holes D&T'd. According to John, the "E. Remington & Sons" rollstamp wasn't used after 1886, as in 1889 after the bankruptcy the rollstamp was changed to "Remington Arms Co." and no #1 Sporters are found with that later post 1886 rollstamp.
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Wellllllllllll! That sporter of mine with a 4 digit number we talked about above has all matching numbers: bottom tang, foreend etc. and the barrel. BUT, THE BARREL address is Remington Arms Co., Ilion NY. Not supposed to be! Roy Marchot is greatly puzzled and so am I.

Either that action laid around in the factory for a decade or so OR I'm wondering if it went in for a re-barrel later on and they stamped that barrel underneath to coincide with the serials on the rest of the gun. The mystery continues & hope that Roy comes up with something.
JimMill

Post by JimMill »

YellowHouse, That is a very interesting #1. I have always wanted a low serial numbered #1 sporter. The lowest number I have is 56xx, and it is also in 44s. It's my favorite caliber in a #1 sporter.

I have always thought Remington kept making the #1 sporter into the 1900's. But when looking at the #3 you find both the old and new markings on their barrels. This is the first #1 sporter I have heard of with the new markings. I wonder if this subject is covered in Roy's new book?

Jim
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

I doubt it Jim cause this appears to be an anomaly and he's just now aware of it. I think he's trying to sort out what might be a plausible explanation.

Do know one thing, if the brass and bullets don't get here soon, I'm gonna go nuts. :wink: Boy, shooting these oldies in calibers other than 45-70 gets to be a bottomless money pit.
JimMill

Post by JimMill »

I think I spent $300 for the dies, brass and mold. It was worth it.

What brass and bullets are you going to use? I bought the RCBS 44-370 mold and use the 348 and RMC brass.

Jim
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

JimMill wrote:I think I spent $300 for the dies, brass and mold. It was worth it.

What brass and bullets are you going to use? I bought the RCBS 44-370 mold and use the 348 and RMC brass.

Jim
43 Spanish for now; I may get some of the 44 Sharps Basic or RMC later. I just order a few bullets, gg and pp to try. Probably will get the RCBS mold like yours. Already had bought the RCBS dies over a year ago in anticipation of getting a Shiloh which now is off the burner.

How is the BACO .348's working for you? They are all about the same price now except for the RMC which is about 66 bucks for 20.

I just got a note from Roy. He believes that its a sporter made after 1888 but with a left over receiver from the earlier period. I wanted this to be from the early seventies so that it could be envisioned as having been used on at least one buffalo. However, I'm happy with the pristine bore.