R.B. CARBINE.

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
toot

R.B. CARBINE.

Post by toot »

I have a REM. ROLLING BLOCK NAVY CARBINE IN CAL. 50/45.CAL. question is, just how do I make shell's for it. and any load data. any and all help would be appreaciated.
wlw-19958

Re: R.B. CARBINE.

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

From what I have read, 50-45 can be made from
50-70 brass and trimming it back to the correct
length. Being a black powder load, the charge
would be whatever the case can hold in black
powder (minus the space required for the bullet).
Most say to make the charge sightly longer than
that (so there is about a 1/16" compression of
the black powder load to help ignition).

Originally, the charge was 45 grains of black powder
but that was with "balloon head" cartridge cases.
Modern cases have solid heads and therefore have
less internal volume so one has to adjust the charge
to compensate for the smaller volume.

You will have to do some research to find the correct
case length for 50-45. Also, make a chamber cast
to check that you cartridges will fit or whether you
will have to make changes to the case.

Once you have your cases and have made a chamber
cast, make a dummy round (case with bullet but no
powder or primer) to make sure it will fit correctly.

Good Luck!
Webb
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Larry Potterfield of Midway USA made a short video on youtube .
If you look up "How to load ammunition for an 1867 Remington Rolling Block in 50-45-400"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-eA-L-NfOo
He shows how he made cartridges for his carbine.

Also if you are a member of facebook, you can do a search for Rolling Block Nation.
Join that group and post your question about reloading for 1867 Navy Carine chambered in 50-45.
There is a gentleman by the name of Steve Blancard that reloads this cartridge, he should be able to help you.
He also has some videos on youtube.

Here is a image of a 50-45 cartridge that I have take measurements from.
Full page photo.jpg
Full page photo.jpg (80.46 KiB) Viewed 4732 times

Have a Good Day,
Matt
toot

Post by toot »

WOW! I want to thank all of you guys that came to my aid. you have bent over backwards in comming to my aid on a question that I posted. armed, with this information, PUN INTENENED! I will be able to shoot this old girl, and blow the cobwebs out of her! all the best, stay safe, toot.
toot

Post by toot »

well I got 2 made, one FROM a 348, WINCHESTER & AND ONE FROM AN 8 M / M LEBEL. I cut them to legenth with a DREMMEL annealed them and turned my 50 / 70 CAL. sizing die down as far as it would go. just made it, the seater would not go down enough, so I used a wooden mallet to tap the head into the case, on top of 27 1/2, grains of 2FG, BP, SPG LUBE with a grease cookie under it. the 348 case would not extract but came out with a tap of a metal rod, the LEBEL extracted great, there is 20 THS, difference in the rims, the LEBEL being the larger. so I loaded them up again, being that I only have two of them, that is fine as I was finally able to fire the old REM. RB. NAVY CADET MODLE, 50/45 once again after a very long HAITIUS!! so it will keep me content knowing that I can load & shoot it whenever I so decide to. thanks' to all of the guy's that helped me in my quest to shoot her again! toot.
toot

Post by toot »

PS. the reason that I did not want to use a 50/70 as a parent case, was the price of them, I am FRUGAL/CHEEP! and when and if one develops a split neck it will be made into one. I have a lot of 348's & MILITARY BERDAN PRIMED cases, in my scrap pail that have split necks. and yes I convert the FRENCH brass to LR, PRIMERS, by drilling out the flash hole's, as I sai I am FRUGAL/CHEEP! waist not want not! JNHO ? toot.
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

I've loaded 43-45gr of 2F in my 50-45s with a Rapine 350 bullet. It shoots quite well. Mine is a put-together and the extractor stud was broken. I milled it off, built it back up by welding. Then re-machined the stud. Here is a video range testing it after the repair.

https://youtu.be/nZU3DsrW_zQ
toot

Post by toot »

thanks' all of you guys for stepping up to my question. I mean it! I am going to make smoke with it!
toot

Post by toot »

well I have made Smoak with it. at 25 yds, I got a 5 inch group. not bad? you have just gotta luve these old birds!?
JWvanIperen

Rolling Block 1867 Navy Carbine

Post by JWvanIperen »

Hello,

I recently bought a Navy Carbine 50-45-400 and am looking for a bullet mold. On the internet I found that the twist of older Rolling Blocks should be around 1:42". I measured the twist on my Rolling block and found a twist of 1:28" a lost faster..
Has anyone ever measured their barrel??
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

It's difficult to measure these short barrels accurately using the marked cleaning rod method. But I checked mine. I get about 1- 30.
JWvanIperen

Post by JWvanIperen »

Attached some pictures of how I measured it, need a lathe and some mechanical skills however. Or a good friend having both.. I took a short piece of brass a little over .5" in dia and length and machined part with the diameter of the bore, in my case .50 and a short section: .025-.03 with the diameter of the grooves, in my case .516, both .001 smaller than the actual measured diameter and cut internal thread fitting on the cleaning rod. I marked a section a little smaller than the width of the grooves on the bigger diameter and removed the remainder. This small tab just fits in one of the grooves. I drilled and reamed an 8mmm hole (dia of cleaning rod) and drilled and tapped a M5 threadhole in the hole in a small steel block for a locking screw. First on the cleaning rod is the metal block, then the brass plug.
I inserted the cleaning rod with the brass jag attached in the bore until it ended up in the chamber and pulled it back till the tab just grabbed one of the grooves. I moved the block forward to the plastic muzzle protector and put a small magnetic level on it setting the level in the middle and locking it with the M5 screw. Next thing is retracting the cleaning rod till the level is at the underside with the level again centered. Make sure the small tab is against the same land as when it was set when starting to pull it outward. The distance between the block and plastic muzzle protector is half the twist, in my case it was 14 1/4" as you can see on picture 6, this makes it a twist of 1-28.5
The 1-30 is close enough with marked cleaning rod method.

Thanks for taking the effort!

Jan-Willem
Attachments
6 half the twist at 180°.jpg
6 half the twist at 180°.jpg (268.84 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
5 level at 180°.jpg
5 level at 180°.jpg (251.15 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
4 cleaning rod extracted with level on underside.jpg
4 cleaning rod extracted with level on underside.jpg (265.55 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
3 cleaning rod with steel block for magnetic level.jpg
3 cleaning rod with steel block for magnetic level.jpg (257.49 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
2 block against cleaning rod guide, level set in middle.jpg
2 block against cleaning rod guide, level set in middle.jpg (274.06 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
1 brass jag with tab for in groove.jpg
1 brass jag with tab for in groove.jpg (153.86 KiB) Viewed 3741 times
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Nice rig. I think you asked this question elsewhere. I said that the 350gr molds I have shoot well. Are you still after a 400+ gr bullet? I'd be curious how it shoots.
JWvanIperen

Post by JWvanIperen »

Hello,

I also asked the question on the Rolling Block Facebook group, and yes: I am looking for a heavier bullet. Looking at 430-450 grain. Have used accurate mold in the US before on other bullets and am working on a design that is just shy or against the rifling with a 40 grain blackpowder charge. Little bit compression if needed.
Using different formula's found on the WWW point in the direction of a heavier bullet with this caliber and rifling.

JW
ndnchf

Post by ndnchf »

Ok. So you don't want to use the original 45gr charge?