8mmx58r Brass Cases - how do I make them ?

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
marlinman93

Re: 8mmx58r Brass Cases - how do I make them ?

Post by marlinman93 »

Buying some cases can cost you a few dollars more PER CASE! So forming your own can save hundreds of dollars in certain situations, and if guns and shooting them are your hobby, then it's more than just saving money.
I've got some cartridges that cost me $1 a piece for the donor brass, but if I buy them they're $3.75-$4 a case.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Yes, I can see that it's a $3 per case saving, but how much did the annealing machine cost? What if you don't have a lathe to cut cases? How long does it take to turn 10-15 cases into the new caliber? As you said, "It takes a lot of time." It's all relative to each person's situation, funds, and time available.

Congrats of the good job creating the new cases, and thanks for the great, informational post on how to make the new cases.

Daniel
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

aardq wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:04 pm Yes, I can see that it's a $3 per case saving, but how much did the annealing machine cost? What if you don't have a lathe to cut cases? How long does it take to turn 10-15 cases into the new caliber? As you said, "It takes a lot of time." It's all relative to each person's situation, funds, and time available.

Congrats of the good job creating the new cases, and thanks for the great, informational post on how to make the new cases.

Daniel
Annealing machines aren't necessary. I've been forming cases for 4 decades, and never owned one. I use a variable speed drill motor with a piece of rod in the chuck. Slip the case over the rod and twirl it in front of the flame on my propane torch. Then drop in a bucket of water.
No lathe needed either. I have one and use my case trimmer, and mini Harbor Freight chop saw far more. They're faster, and easier to do quickly.

Case forming does take time, but even when I worked 40+ hrs. a week, I still preferred taking the time vs. paying the high cost of somebody else making my cases. And over the decades I've found it's become much easier, and faster as I've learned shortcuts.
toot

Post by toot »

what I do is just take a 7.62x54 RUSSIAN ROUND and just shoot/ fire it in the gun, and VIOLA!! you have a finished round, that is what I do, and am not telling any else to do it.
Bigskybound

Post by Bigskybound »

Use 8x56R cases and fire form. A tad short, but that can be overcome by not seating bullets too deep. The cases will be formed perfectly to your chamber. Cheap and easy.