Rolling Block #1 Barrel replacement

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
dtrsss

Rolling Block #1 Barrel replacement

Post by dtrsss »

Hello,

I would like to replace a barrel. Would any caliber of barrel for a #1 work?

Thank you
marlinman93

Re: Rolling Block #1 Barrel replacement

Post by marlinman93 »

Not sure what you mean for certain? But as far as caliber choices any #1 that's in a black powder caliber is appropriate for another #1. But not all barrel threads are the same throughout all #1 production, so if you find another barrel it may or may not be the same thread diameter. And of course i may not clock up perfectly, and may need to be indexed and headspaced to fit the new receiver.
dtrsss

Post by dtrsss »

Based on what you are saying, the threading on the receiver #1 may be different as well? Based on pictures, I have a No.1 Rotary Extractor. Thanks
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,
dtrsss wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:42 pm Based on what you are saying, the threading on the receiver #1 may be different as well? Based on pictures, I have a No.1 Rotary Extractor. Thanks
I take it you have a #1 frame that is either a type 3 or type 4.
Both of these frames used the rotary extractor. The type 3
had a step on either side of the frame where the frame arched
over the barrel and the type 4 did not.

I do not know if one can use a barrel from a type 1 or type 2
frame that uses the bar type extractor on a type 3 or 4 frame
without some modification. Even if you can, there is still the
problem of indexing the barrel and head spacing.

So at a minimum, I would say you would have to have access
to a lathe and if you would have to re-cut the extractor cut-
out too, access to a mill would be a great help.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

A #1 BP receiver is .920" minimum and .975" maximum 12 square threads per inch. 1.418" long shank.
The #1 smokeless action is 1.0" min. x 1.055" max. with a 12 tpi 1.430" long shank.
The Swedish and Danish can be the same as the BP action also, especially those made by Remington. Not sure if later are, as I'd need to measure up one of my later barrels or actions to see.

No matter, none will thread up perfectly and index perfectly, even if everything is the same enough to just screw on, and not need lathe work.
dtrsss

Post by dtrsss »

DSCN1842.JPG
DSCN1842.JPG (3.52 MiB) Viewed 14235 times
Here is a picture of mine. I don't know if this helps or not.

I have a 43 Argentine and the throat was modified for 348 WCF. I have never reloaded and I haven't found any ammo for it, so I was looking to replace the barrel to something more practical.....45-70 is preferred but I wanted to see what options there were.

My knowledge is limited with barrel replacements and this is looking like it could be a lengthy project.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

The Argentine model uses a type 4 frame.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
dtrsss

Post by dtrsss »

So is it a late #1 frame / rotary extractor receiver, type 4? I have been looking at different pieces of information and hoping I have this information locked down at this point. Thanks
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes, your rotary extractor is a later frame.
dtrsss

Post by dtrsss »

And the later frames came in types 3 and 4?

Does anyone have any suggestions:

1) How I should search for another barrel?

2) What calibers should I search for?

3) Should I only search for #1 frame type 4 only?

Thank you.
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I would say that a barrel that uses a rotary
extractor would be best if you insist on getting
a used barrel. Unfortunately, I don't think you
will have much choice in caliber. I think you
should consider getting a barrel blank in the
caliber you desire and have it fitted to your action.
45-70 is popular and ammo can be obtained but
being a 19th century frame, I suggest you use
only lower pressure rounds. So, a barrel with a
.457 groove diameter would be ideal.

Originally, the Argentine model was chambered for
the 11.5X57R a.k.a. .43 Spanish round. If yours has
been bored out to take the .348 Winchester cartridge
case, the base diameter has been increased from .522"
to about .553". Fortunately, the rim diameter of .348
Winchester is smaller than .43 Spanish, so your current
extractor probably hasn't been excessively modified
so you probably can use your current extractor in
another .43 Spanish barrel. Still, you will need to
fit the barrel to your action. Anyway, this isn't a
project for a beginner unless you have an experienced
mentor to guide you.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Webb's advice is great, and from what I see of your existing barrel it's likely a replacement already since there were no factory octagon barrels in your present caliber.
A new barrel blank will however cost around $375, and another $150-$175 to be fitted. Then a small fee to weld up the extractor to fit the smaller rim size. And then rust bluing the barrel also.
Another option would be to simply have your present barrel lined to something like the .457" liner and chambered in .45-70. Or whatever caliber you'd like. That cost would run around $500 and be a significant savings, with the same end result.
aardq

Post by aardq »

Does Numirch still offer the 45-70 barrels? How about E. R. Shaw for a bbl? They have a wide selection of bbls in several different contours, and lengths to your order. They also fit their bbls to your action, and they may sell, and install a bbl for you, in your caliber of choice. They may be the best bet.

Good luck,
Dan
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

aardq wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:46 am Does Numirch still offer the 45-70 barrels? How about E. R. Shaw for a bbl? They have a wide selection of bbls in several different contours, and lengths to your order. They also fit their bbls to your action, and they may sell, and install a bbl for you, in your caliber of choice. They may be the best bet.

Good luck,
Dan
I'd be hesitant to buy one of the Numrich barrels if they did still have them? I bought one back when they offered them and the hole down the bore was almost 3/16" off center at one end!!! I couldn't believe somebody rifled a bore that far off. They did take it back.
I've heard mixed reviews on accuracy of those barrels, so glad I went with a Green Mountain instead. Another great choice is Borchardt Rifle Co. barrels, which are high quality at cheap prices.
dtrsss

Post by dtrsss »

I believe my barrel is original as it has the proper markings. It is my understanding that the Argentine 43 Spanish came with the Knox form barrel and I see them for sale all the time and I have the 43 Argentine.

I would prefer the 45-70 as I use that it my trap door and it is much more cost effective and easier to obtain than any other round from that period. I use new PPU.

I like the idea about relining it. Going from a 43 up to 45 would probably be pretty easy to do. And this way I already know the barrel fits!

Is relining actually reboring? Or is it reboring when the diameter of the bore is made bigger and adding a liner / sleeve to make it smaller? I want to make sure I understand the terminology.

So I will look at E. R. Shaw.

Does Green Mountain & Borchardt Rifle Co. fit the barrels to the receiver?

It would make the most sense to find a company that does it all in one since the information I received recently on this site was that the thread diameters on another barrel may or may not match up with my receiver.

And I must say, you guys are awesome with the information.