Rem Rolling Blocks conversion from 32 Rim

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
wsmrto

Rem Rolling Blocks conversion from 32 Rim

Post by wsmrto »

I have several old Remington Roller's, Winchesters 92's, Colt lightning rifle and a half dozen S&W //Colt pistols in 32 WCF. I have one No 2 Rem in 32 Rimfire and would like to change to 32 WCF and even have heard about the 32 H&R Mag fitting the same chamber. I know I'v heard the conversion to 32 WCF is often done with just a hand reamer?? How about the 32 H&R// maybe 327 Fed. Any word on this? I also have a few rollers in 44-40 and some carbines in 7mm, 43Sp. 50/45 and even in 46 Rim. The 46 can be changed over to center fire and 303 Brit brass can be trimmed to length and fits. All my RB and others are in shootable condition. I reload for the 43 Sp. 50/70 the several Sniders and Enfields. I really enjoy the times I go to the range and start to fire off the old rifles and hear the clang at 380 mts. from the range steel. Folks all wander over and gawk at the stuff.
tjack

Re: Rem Rolling Blocks conversion from 32 Rim

Post by tjack »

The only info I have Re the No 2 Rolling Block comes from Frank de Haas in his Single Shot Rifles and Actions. In there, concerning the No 2, he states that he would not recommend shooting the old .32-20 High Speed ammo thru them even though he'd seen it done before. He said that he would not advise chambering and shooting any cartridge that develops more than 35,000 pounds pressure. I don't know what the chamber pressure is on the .32 H&R Mag or .327 Federal Mag but shooting either thru a rifle made between about 1873 and 1910 does not sound like the way I want my life to end.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

If you go ahead with this conversion you will achieve two things.
(1) You will put yourself and, possabley others, at risk.
(2) You will destroy a piece of history .

If you want a more powerful rifle, buy a more powerful rifle.
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

Thanks guys! I have as stated many more nice shooting Rollers and Martini Henry's in 577 and 303. Have a fantastic Falling Block Works in 30-40 Krag AI. I had just read about the 32 rimfire conversions and wanted some other thoughts. Which I agree with by looking at the loading data. I will be puting the rim fire up for sale pretty soon.
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

Why not shoot it. I shoot one on a No.4 action and it's fun.
You can get re-loadable cases that use a .22 bank as a primer. You don't need any loading equipment, just drop in a blank, fill the case with black powder (or Pyrodex) sick a bullet or ball on the end and you are in business.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

The #2 Rolling Block is a very strong design, and was chambered in a lot of high pressure cartridges. So converting one to a hotter cartridge is NOT putting the shooter or anyone else in danger, unless somebody goes nuts with their choice. I have originals in .32-20 WCF and that's often been loaded pretty stout by ammo makers, but the #2 is solid enough to handle them.
A #2 in the original .32RF caliber has less collector value than it would have converted properly to a caliber like .32-20 WCF. The key here is "done properly" so it looks correct, and the overall appeal of the gun is not ruined.
guntrader49

Post by guntrader49 »

I also have a no. 2 rolling block in 32 rimfire that I had considered converting to 32-20 but since it was a very rusty old barn find when I got it I have some doubts about taking a chance with that cartridge. I'm thinking now about the possibility of going to 32 long or short colt like the old 1892 Marlins. Since those chambered either the32 rimfire or the colt centerfire 32 I believe the only change would be converting the breech block to centerfire? Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have a lot of experience with these old rolling blocks.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

guntrader49 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:35 pm I also have a no. 2 rolling block in 32 rimfire that I had considered converting to 32-20 but since it was a very rusty old barn find when I got it I have some doubts about taking a chance with that cartridge. I'm thinking now about the possibility of going to 32 long or short colt like the old 1892 Marlins. Since those chambered either the32 rimfire or the colt centerfire 32 I believe the only change would be converting the breech block to centerfire? Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't have a lot of experience with these old rolling blocks.
If the bore is good, then the conversion to CF is all it would take. But a .32 Long CF or RF is not the same as .32 Long Colt. The Colt version uses a smaller .309" bullet, while the Remington, Ballard, and Wesson used the standard .32 Long that was a heeled bullet and was around .312" diameter. So if you keep the original bore you'll need to also get heeled bullets, or buy a heeled bullet mold to shoot the gun. But the brass for .32 Long Colt is the same, so you can use that brass.
Another option would be to convert to CF and then have the chambered slightly reamed to fit the .32 S&W Long and then the bullets and cases are very easy to find, and a regular .312" bullet can be used to load it.
wsmrto

Post by wsmrto »

Thanks for the other opinions on this. I know the brechblock and hammer on nearly all rolling blocks are very strong and have been used for many conversions over the years. I have some thoughts to do some more reasearch on this as I have read even the use of 32 S&W long and some others already mentioned. I really don't need another shooter,but the rimfire will only continue to hang on the rack gathering dust if it is not fired once in a while. There is no current rimfire available except for 22 which is wonderful in some of the little remington and stevens I have.
Muley Gil

Post by Muley Gil »

Larry Porterfield did a youtube post on a .32 RF to.32-20 rolling block.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view

I'm converting a #4 .32 RF to .32 S&W Long.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

So, for a #4 in 32 RF - is the #4 string enough for 32-20? Or is 32 Long the max recommended? I don't have one, but found a cpl inexpensive #4s in 32 RF, and was considering the conversion to 32-20. Thanx
stanforth

Post by stanforth »

I personally wouldn't do it.
There is history of old Rolling Blocks failing . Different times, different metals. Here in the UK we are fortunate in that if we change the chambering of a gun we have, by law, to submit it to proof. That way we get a rifle with a nice new proof mark (or certificate if you object to proof stamping) or a bag of bits.
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Not a good caliber for a #4 Rolling Block. Someone might drop factory .32-20 in it someday, and it will eventually fail with that much pressure in the weaker #4.
Oscarflytyer

Post by Oscarflytyer »

Thanx all! What I was kinda gathering during research. Saved me a useless purchase.