Remington New Model Army

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Pistols
grandpasgun

Remington New Model Army

Post by grandpasgun »

Hello,

I'm new to the forum but have an interest in Remington New Model Army pistols. My great, great, grandfather's enlistment papers show he was issued this pistol, serial number 54774.

I have some questions:
1. When was this pistol manufactured/delivered?
2. Where was it delivered?

I would like to try to find this pistol, though I know it's an impossible task. Any advice on where to look for it?

Thanks for your help!
wlw-19958

Re: Remington New Model Army

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I cannot answer your question but I will mention that
this is the Rifle section. Your question might be better
served if you post in the Remington Handguns Pre-1899
section.

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
aardq

Re: Remington New Model Army

Post by aardq »

Hi,

Just saw this in the rifle section. Webb is right. First relist this in the pistol section. Then post in the WTB section of the want ads here. You might also post an ad in the want ads of the RSA magazine.

Your gun was made in early, Feb. 1864. It is one of 148,550 NMAs made so the odds of finding it a very slim. There is no way to know what unit was issued the gun, but you already know that it was issued to your GGfather, so probably his unit.

You realize that when looking for a specific serial gun, the price will go up 50-100%? Example, the gun may be a $2500 gun because of condition. The owner of that gun sees your request, and that gun suddenly became a $3500-4500 gun. If it was my GGfather, I'd pay the extra money just to have the gun.

Good luck in your search,
Dan