Early round top Sporting Rifle

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
oldremguy

Re: Early round top Sporting Rifle

Post by oldremguy »

Here are some photos of my early sporting rifle in 44 rimfire, serial number 12xx. It is also built on the round top military receiver. As like yours there is a cleaning rod stud at the front of the receiver.
Well I was going to post photos but each time I try I get this
Error
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Matt
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

oldremguy wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:16 am Here are some photos of my early sporting rifle in 44 rimfire, serial number 12xx. It is also built on the round top military receiver. As like yours there is a cleaning rod stud at the front of the receiver.
Well I was going to post photos but each time I try I get this
Error
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Matt
Thanks for checking yours and confirming this stud.

I use Imgur to post pictures, and then link them here. It's free and a great way to store and post pictures.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Ok, big thanks to the Administrator for fixing the problem I was having with uploading the photos.

Hello marlinman93,
here are some of the photos of my gun.
1.jpg
1.jpg (147.76 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (356.1 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (286.89 KiB) Viewed 8278 times
Have a good day,
Matt
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Thanks for the pictures! Since yours is a later round top it has the later style forearm cap. Neat to see another variation of the round top sporting rifle too! Now I guess I need to find one like yours to actually have that variation too! ;)

I just noticed your trigger guard front edge on the trigger plate! Is it a separate piece from the trigger plate? I see a distinct line between trigger guard and trigger plate that appears to be two pieces? Mine is blended in with the trigger plate, and not the parting line yours has.
JimMill

Post by JimMill »

I really like the early round tops. Thanks Marlinman93 and Matt for sharing. Looks like Marlinman93's rifle had its breech block changed. Maybe to convert to centerfire?

Jim
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

JimMill wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:49 pm I really like the early round tops. Thanks Marlinman93 and Matt for sharing. Looks like Marlinman93's rifle had its breech block changed. Maybe to convert to centerfire?

Jim
I think you may be right Jim. Since it is cross hatch checkered instead of the shield pattern all my others have. Wish I could see more of these round tops, but guessing not a lot survived the years, and such a small number to start with too!
I'm getting close to the end on building one from parts just to shoot. I started with a later round top military action, and then fitted one of the 1997 Rem. Rolling Block trigger plates to it. I put a 34" Green Mountain full octagon barrel on it, and chambered in .40-50SS. It's getting color cased receiver, and rust blued barrel now, and is almost done. Have some really nice high grade Remington Custom Shop stocks I found for it. Of course it's just for fun, as I wanted a pistol grip Sporting Rifle and the real ones are way above my pay grade.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Here is a better picture showing the 2 piece trigger guard.
6.jpg
6.jpg (125.78 KiB) Viewed 8261 times
Have a good day,
Matt
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Wow! I've never seen a Rolling Block with a 2 piece trigger guard? Does it also have the longer lower tang with extra screw into the wood? Pretty neat variation!
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Hello Marlinman93,

Yes it has the longer lower tang with the extra wood screw as found on most sporting rifle.
I don't think that they made to many with the 2 piece trigger guard. Maybe Remington was trying out a new design that didn't work out.
20181229_151010j.jpg
20181229_151010j.jpg (201.68 KiB) Viewed 8253 times
Have a good day,
Matt
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Interesting that Remington used a one piece trigger guard earlier, and later than yours? Seems this was a short lived variation, and likely an extremely rare one too!
wlw-19958

Post by wlw-19958 »

Hi There,

I find all this interesting too. I always like adding
to my knowledge base. My RB interests have been
in the military versions and it is interesting to see
the differences between them and the "civilian"
variations.

What peaked my interest in this thread was the
use of the type 1 action on a civilian model.
George Layman in his book on Military Rolling
Blocks disputes that the "type 1" action to be
the earliest version of the "Remington System"
and believes that the "type 2" was actually the
first type of action to be produced (Split Breech
models not withstanding).

Good Luck!
-Blue Chips-
Webb
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I agree. Discussions like this hopefully bring out people with examples so we can actually see what was built. I'd never seen or heard of the two piece trigger guard that Matt's gun has, so that is very nifty to see!
JimMill

Post by JimMill »

There is a picture of another early sporting rifle with the 2 piece trigger guard in Roy Marcots book on page 39.

Jim
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

JimMill wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:43 pm There is a picture of another early sporting rifle with the 2 piece trigger guard in Roy Marcots book on page 39.

Jim
Thanks for the lead Jim! It certainly is, and I missed it previously! It's also very close to the same serial number as mine, so seems they randomly threw in this 2 piece trigger guard.
oldremguy

Post by oldremguy »

Here are 2 more photos of the 2 piece trigger guard. I don't know how it is attached to the bottom tang, there are no posts from the trigger guard going up through the tang to secure it in place.

7.jpg
7.jpg (400.77 KiB) Viewed 8200 times
8a.jpg
8a.jpg (367.19 KiB) Viewed 8200 times

Have a good day,
Matt