Need help with a Remington Keene

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
psugrad

Need help with a Remington Keene

Post by psugrad »

I'm new here, and I need some help. I picked up a Remington Keene a few weeks ago--one of the 250 Navy rifles with the proper stamps on the barrel. It's a project, to be sure, but it is not a disaster. Working with a friend who knows far about the internal functioning of firearms than I do, we have determined that is missing two pieces. There should be a spring of sorts that may be pinned or soldered to another stable piece that puts pressure on the trigger when the rifle is cocked. Both pieces should be attached to the receiver. The rifle will cock, but the trigger is not functional, we assume because these pieces are missing.

So, I am trying to locate either the parts themselves, which may be impossible, or the dimensions so we can have them fabricated. I would also be happy to learn if anyone knows of a gunsmith/someone who would work on this rifle. I do not want a "restoration;" I want to make it functional. I called Remington, and they said that if they had the parts' dimensions, which they don't, that they would not give them to me due to liability concerns.

We also can't seem to get the magazine tube out of the stock, and the magazine cutoff lever moves, but it doesn't seem to do anything. The rifle has other issues as well, but I can alleviate those--some rust, someone sprayed it with black paint, bore is kinda nasty, stock has no finish and wood is very dry, etc. It's not pretty, but it is one of only 250 sent to the Navy, and I got it cheap enough that my budget can handle some repairs. The only "schematic" I could find is in Canfield's Bolt Action Rifles book. It shows the missing pieces, but not very well at all.

Any help would be appreciated. I think that with a little TLC this weapon can be made functional and not just a wall hanger. That is my goal.
hbone

Re: Need help with a Remington Keene

Post by hbone »

I have a complete rifle that someone restocked and replaced the magazine tube, it seems to function and is in pretty decent overall shape, I would like to sell it to someone who would like to restore it or use it to complete a restoration.