Hello from Annapolis Maryland

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
SharkFin

Hello from Annapolis Maryland

Post by SharkFin »

I am now a proud owner of two rolling block rifles. I am a novice in regards to rifles and these are my first ones.

A little about myself: I like to shoot handguns and have been shooting for many years. I have a Beretta 92fs I purchased in 1994. I have had several other handguns (all semi-automatic) over the years. Currently I still own the Beretta and a Sig Sauer P320 Compact 9mm. I also like to fish in the Chesapeake Bay and it's tributaries.

The reason I joined the forum is because I want to restore the rifles. Not knowing anything about them, I feel this forum will help me learn how and hopefully make some new friends along the way.

My rifles: One is a model 4 round barrel .22 cal that is in very good shape except someone took the stock and forearm off and misplaced so I just need to replace them. The other one is an octagonal barrel .32 cal (it measures 7mm) that also is In good condition except for a missing firing pin and the trigger swings free. The serial number on the 22 is 332884 and the 32(?) Is 10615.

I am in the process of learning the rules and searching functions on the forum.

I want to restore both rifles so I can learn about them and also have some fun shooting them afterwards. So any help in identifying them, dating them, and tips to restore would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Muley Gil

Re: Hello from Annapolis Maryland

Post by Muley Gil »

This vendor has a forearm for sale:

http://www.rollingblockparts.com/original-parts.html

Sounds like the trigger spring is missing or broken. The above link also has the spring and has a break down of the internal parts. If you are handy with tools, you can make a firing pin from drill stock.
marlinman93

Re: Hello from Annapolis Maryland

Post by marlinman93 »

Depending on the level and originality you'd like to keep on your #4 Rolling Block, you can search for original stocks, or buy aftermarket replacements. Treebone Carving has new semi inletted stocks for the #4 if you choose to go that route. You'll need the lower bezel that goes in the stock for the tang screw also.
As Muley stated, it sounds like the floppy trigger is a missing trigger return spring. I make them from .045" piano wire and they work better than original trigger springs.